How does diving make you feel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All your posts have described it better than I could. I just know the dives end too soon; either I'm getting low on air or the nitrogen level is pegging and time to get out.

It's therapeutic physically for me too. As someone who carries a lot of extra weight, when diving I have no pressure points on my circulation. Everything is just free to move, and move it does !

I love to lug the gear because it means I get to dive with my wife. I am free on a boat, and the wind is blowing I feel young and handsome. My feelings turn to excitement as the divemaster gives his spiel. I am happy as I leap into the air free falling to just below the surface. I feel the clean cool dry air in my lungs and then the decent to the bottom full of expectation and anticipation, wonderment at what I might find, a wreck? a Ray? a Shark? some small thing I have never seen? I feel floaty, like flying, banking left, swooping down over the bottom or whatever it is. I feel Free, the only sound the bubbles, glurg blurbble, glerg. My partner my wife my love only a foot or two away, we share the same wonders in our separate ways and in our separate suits. Spiritually joined. I feel love when she sees something new and like a child claps her hands underwater in excitement. I feel at home, when I dive my life is right at that moment. and when I lug the gear off the boat and wash it all and put it up to dry I feel spent and perfectly content. My day was used for the best purpose it could have been used for.

I have a mild form of Asperger's Syndrome, but beneath the waves my unerring inability to read faces easily and unerring ability to say the wrong thing half the time doesn't matter. Beneath the waves all I need to read is your hands and our gauges.

Yea me too. I like it because it is an escape from the overwhelming sensory experience day to day life is also as well as I have heard that a lot of people with ASDs like pressure so maybe that is part of it, who knows. :) I just feel relaxed when diving, one of the few times in life I feel relaxed.

Also the landscape is so alien and unlike any other, just constantly fascinating.

It makes me feel free. The only ever time I say a person is truly free is when they're asleep. Diving nears this true freedom for me.
I adore the feeling of flight underwater, the soaring over reefs - being in control.
I'm still amazed on every dive at the variety of life underwater, despite the silence - which is another great aspect.
The silence is so peaceful and serene. I feel very at home underwater.
The ocean is a beautiful element to our world. It's unforgiving, yet holds such beauty above and below. And to be able to witness this via diving just brings great joy.
I love meeting the people who share the same passion in diving.

Diving makes me feel strong, because I can do everything just like the guys, and look a heck of a lot better while doing it :)

I also love the feeling of just hanging motionless in the water and watching life happen right before my eyes. I feel like I'm in on a secret, because only a handful of people get to experience the underwater world, and I'm so happy that I'm one of those people.

I had wanted to learn to scuba since the '60's when my dad and I would watch Lloyd Bridges on the B&W TV I took the class with my youngest son, I was 51 and he 26. Every time I go into the water I think of my dad, who passed away when I was 49. I remember us watching that old TV show and I know that dad is watching me and smiling. To be underwater, whether it be a lake, pond, river, mud puddle or in the ocean I feel a sense of freedom, calmness and ease that I can't get anywhere else or from doing anything else on earth. And, I feel privileged to be a part of a small group of humans that get to see the wonderful sights that are under the water.

i feel like im at home. i guess its weird but im just incredibly happy and at peace when im in the water.

I get the most refreshed feeling after a dive. One particular dive at a local lake, my buddy and me went to 41 feet of water. Although it so dark, my eyes eventually could focus on the surroundings to the point I didn't need the light to look around this spooky, desolate, God forsaken place. I had ascended
to 20 feet and hovered when I got this sense of great well being. The kind of feeling like something great has happened to you. Again on boat, gear off, and buddy not ready to go, I couldn't help myself. Tank
again donned and again at 20 feet - that great feeling came once more. Hovered there several more minutes wondering why was I enjoying such a feeling in water, otherwise, offering the least diving conditions before returning to the boat. Once aboard and gear off, talking with buddy who was now
ready to go, I just couldn't help myself as I ask him to wait so I could down down I last time. As the
two times, that great feeling of well being returned. This was not the first time I had experienced this particular feeling in my diving activities. It had just been a while. That was sometime ago, and I've been restricted from diving because of blood clots in both lung. From time to time, my imagination
takes me back to that particular dive, and again, I can somehow feel that great feeling. Oh, by the way, I'm a guy.

I feel completely alive and in the present moment, joyful and tuned in while incredibly calm. Nuthin else like it.

I feel incredibly happy and giddy. There is something about a school of fish that makes me wave 'hello' and giggle in my mask. Maybe because it's the joy of wonder, that we lack so much in our adult life. I love it.

Back
Top Bottom