How does diving make you feel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eager.

optimistic.

grateful.

elated.

amazed.

Wow.... too many feelings... not sure I can capture them all.

Diving is one of the only times that I have positive feelings about my body... I feel physically competent, strong, free, graceful, calm, peaceful.

I also feel curious, optimistic... inquisitive...

I love waiting to see if I can engage an animal in an interaction. If I hang quietly, will the turtle come over to me? If I turn over a rock can I get the yellow tail coris to follow me around.... as I approach the coral head will the black damsels charge at me and purr? If I breath slowly and move slowly, will the reef shark let me get close... If I put out my hand will the octopus reach out to touch it, and then if I stroke the tentacles, will the octopus climb on my hand?

I also feel athletic, healthy and adventurous.

I feel whole and at home in my skin.

ladycute1 Wow.... too many feelings... not sure I can capture them all.

That sums it up for me. But, I will try to keep it simple:
Euphoric
Serene
Home

There's a camaraderie in this sport that's simply lovely, born, I think, of the lack of any competitive quality to it.

Diving has really caused me to call into questions sports which are centered on how many points you got, what team won or lost, what the ref did, etc. I grew up on those sports, but now, hell no!

I love exploration and where else on earth do you get to explore? I love the weightlessness, the feeling of flying by a wall or the ease of using only my breath to glide up and over the side of an underwater mountain covered in otherworldly creatures and colors. I love that it is still perhaps the only time I actually live in the moment...I am not thinking about what just passed nor what is coming. I am always completely captivated by the present. I love that I feel like a part of the environment. I never feel threatened nor am I ever a threat. (I never feel that way at the surface.) And perhaps most of all, I am endlessly fascinated by the alien underwater life so relatively few get to see for themselves and so very grateful I am one of those few.

The water hugs me.

not knowing how to dive would be terribly limiting. You look around and your world ends at the surface.

I've been diving my whole "adult life" (more than half my existence on this planet) I am grateful for it, and never take it for granted. Even after ~4500 dives, to take that first look around, that first breath underwater, is gift every time.

Learning to dive a rebreather this past year has allowed me to become closer to the water, more 'fishlike' (albeit a very ungainly fish). Everything treats you different without the bubbles. You can hang just like the critters, motionless. You can look straight up at a jellyfish without blowing it to the surface... You can look up and see through the surface because your bubbles are not disrupting it... it feels more like you belong and are a water creature looking through to the 'other side'. there is not the constant roar of the bubbles to remind you that you are a just a visitor...

I picked this up somewhere else on this forum:

Someone proposed the thesis that their are two kinds of divers - flyers and lookers. The lookers look for the coloured fish, the flyers just want to float weightless and the pretty fish are a bonus. Flyers tend to become Zen-masters of calm and will enjoy dives immensely while being at a loss to tell others everything that they saw.

I belong firmly in the flyer category.

How does it make me feel? Yesterday evening I did a scuba refresher dive. 33mins at the bottom of a 3m pool, watching the fins of the OW divers learning the basic.

I was grinning like an idiot when I got out. I know of nothing else that does that for me.

I have a mild form of Asperger's Syndrome, but beneath the waves my unerring inability to read faces easily and unerring ability to say the wrong thing half the time doesn't matter. Beneath the waves all I need to read is your hands and our gauges.

I truly love diving. I hope I'll still feel this way in 50 years. The hell with aging graecfully, I'm gonna be the oldest lady on the boat.

Diving's cured my insomnia (nevermind it was a major factor in getting me off smack, that was years ago and small beans in comparison to getting to sleep). Each night as I go to sleep I kit up in my mind on the boat ready for the dive. Every minute detail. Every detail of every check. I've never managed to get fully ready for the dive as I always fall asleep first. It's only taken me 35 years to work out how to get to sleep.

So this is what diving does to me when I'm not even diving.

When I'm diving, apart from the times I feel anxious or scared - which happens from time to time - I feel free, zen, like a bird, no fear of life or death. And I love that I cannot talk nor hear others either.

Under the water feels like home. The feeling of weightlessness is the best thing in the world, better than sex, heroin and booze combined.

J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom