How do you wash/rinse your dive gear??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rubber maid tub, about 5 gallons of water and a cup or so of cheap mouthwash; it kills the bacteria and the gear comes out minty fresh!! Hang in the shade to dry.

Do people regularly unscrew the dump valve and let the soapy water get into the bladder? Would baby shampoo be ok to use? Or maybe some very dilute bleach solution inside (and outside) the bladder?

Do people regularly unscrew the dump valve and let the soapy water get into the bladder? Would baby shampoo be ok to use? Or maybe some very dilute bleach solution inside (and outside) the bladder?
I always put a little baby shampoo down the hose then of course lots of fresh water, shake, dump, etc. My original BC was bought used and lasted 16 years (bladder is still OK, the rest of it was falling apart).

I didn’t read the whole thread , but is mild detergent like dawn or tiny diluted quantities,of whatever you use for your washing machine good for soaking regs?

Yes. Personally, I spend more time getting the inside of my bc rinsed out than anything else. Second stages are a concern of course but easily soaked in a sink.

I use Simple Green since it doesn't suds. It works well on stinky wetsuits too.

Once in awhile I'll rinse out the bc bladder with some diluted mouthwash.

I used to do that with my old BC. I’d unscrew the dump valve, fill the bladder with water, shake it around, then drain. Repeat this time with a little BC cleaner/conditioner.

My current BC has a hose thread connector. I either use BC conditioner, or Salt Away in a dispenser attached to the water hose. I just turn on the hose and let it run until it starts coming out of one of the dump valves, then I cycle the dump valves a bit and turn off the water,

Baby shampoo would probably be fine, but I’d probably steer clear of the bleach. It‘s usually pretty tough to thoroughly rinse the inside of the BC, so getting all the shampoo or bleach out will probably be tough, and I wouldn’t think bleach would do good sitting in the BC for a while.

Fresh water.
The inside of the 2nd stage, wing and smb have to be dried before storage.
Wet suit will get thorough soaking in mild detergent after couple of yr.
Booties usually takes a lot longer to dry so stuffed with newspaper and changed it regularly until it is dried.

usually do 4 day trips

GEAR-at end of day hose down dry suit while wearing it, ( if hose available) and hose down gear
at end of trip dunk everything in big tub (including dry suit )with simple green -fill wing with water and rinse
CCR- rinse loop end of each day
disinfect counterlungs and loop at end of trip

I didn’t read the whole thread , but is mild detergent like dawn or tiny diluted quantities,of whatever you use for your washing machine good for soaking regs?
Sounds like most people soak regs in water, some add some mild detergent or very diluted bleach solutions

Back
Top Bottom