How do you want to die?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to die with my wife, children and family very well taken care of. Unfortunately, I still need to make that fortune while I'm still here alive...

My mother is old and in precarious health, so she has dwelt on this subject quite a bit. While beset with quite a bit of pain at times, she has occasion to do the cost-benefit analysis of remaining alive. What she comes up with is that every last second is worth it to her, as long as she is lucid and can spend time with her loved ones. I am still young enough to harbor some romantic notions of a spectacular demise, but if I can go at the moment dementia starts to appear, surrounded by my loved ones and resting comfortably in a drug-induced haze, that might be perfect.

However I go out, I just hope its a story that my grandkids can tell their grandkids

My Ex's father did it well. Drove to the hospital, within a week which allowed all his family to come in to visit him he lapsed into a coma after signing DNR orders and slipped away with his son and only grandchild at his side. His funeral was on what would have been his 94th birthday. He lived his way until the end.

I want to live and contribute till it is my time and I hope it will be a gentle exit.

My mother is old and in precarious health, so she has dwelt on this subject quite a bit. While beset with quite a bit of pain at times, she has occasion to do the cost-benefit analysis of remaining alive. What she comes up with is that every last second is worth it to her, as long as she is lucid and can spend time with her loved ones. I am still young enough to harbor some romantic notions of a spectacular demise, but if I can go at the moment dementia starts to appear, surrounded by my loved ones and resting comfortably in a drug-induced haze, that might be perfect.

People talk about heros... and those who inspire you. I met mine when I was in hospital many years ago. She was in her 90's and very ill, emphysema, arthritic and other health issues.

People around us were being miserable, feeling sorry for themselves but she lit up the ward. She had a quick wit, humour, a gentle soul that taught me that no matter how bad things are.. you can still contribute something significant to the world around you if you choose!

I doubt she knew what an impact she had on me... but she showed me a standard I will strive to attain for the rest of my life.

I want to die after I'm a rich man and that's going to be a long long time. :rofl3:

Now I think I'll just retire (from being a divebum?) and move to some beautiful tropical area where I can spend the rest of my life diving in warm water surrounded by beautiful women (one of whom may give me a happy heart attack).

My thoughts exactly. While I do not give my death a lot of thought these days (I did when I was a kid), if asked I want it just like DrBill.

Old, relaxed, enjoying the waning days of my life on a warm island with my lovely bride...preferably quietly in my sleep.

Screw dying "doing what I love".

On the other hand, I support mandatory helmet laws for motorcycles. Nobody said I had to be consistent.

LOL...welcome to the human condition where we are NOT black and white logical creatures. They only exist in books and movies....but that is OK, real humans are soooooo much more interesting!

...if we could have the final freedom to choose where and how we die, what would you choose?

I think that I'd like to die in-bed with my wife on-top of me... :)eyebrow: Giving me a hug, get your minds out of the gutter). I just hope the timing is right (I would like to have a proper hug).

My wife, our 7 month old son and I were at the doctor's this morning. There was an elderly woman in a wheel chair who quite crossly told my wife that "your son (remember, he's 7 months old) is staring at me. It's rude".
I hope I pass on before I become that much of a pain in the butt.

Back
Top Bottom