How do you travel with your monster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I pack mine in a soft side cooler and carry it on. I use the soft side cooler on the dive boat as a portable rinse tank and it keeps my camera from getting banged around on the boat.

I pack mine in a soft side cooler and carry it on. I use the soft side cooler on the dive boat as a portable rinse tank and it keeps my camera from getting banged around on the boat.

My soft cooler serves the same function on the trip, but I use it as my "personal item" for carry-on. Lots of room and it'll scrunch under an airline seat with enough "encouragement" from my feet. (It's one of these: AO Coolers: 24 Pack Soft Sided Cooler)

Last edited:
Reactions: jbb
I have just set up my camera with arms & strobes, and I would want to bring them with me to Manado, Indonesia in Oct. How should I carry them when travel? Take them apart and put them in my suitcase? or put them in a separate container as a hand carry luggage? Pelican dry box?

Welcome for any suggestions =)
Definitely break it down (to make it smaller) and definitely carry on, no need for a heavy expensive hard side. Hard side adds size and weight not required for carry on. I used to check my video rig in a hard side and it got tossed around by the luggage apes ( as evidenced by some serious gashes in the case).

i now use a lowepro backpack camera bag (older model similar to the pro runner) that has movable velcro dividers and is very low profile so it will fit in the small overheads if you remove your reading book and bose headphones from the outside pocket.

Housing and strobes go in a standard carry-on roller case, padded with socks and underwear. Just makes weight limit, but no one ever weighs it. Camera and lenses go in my camera bag, which I put inside my courier bag and carry on along with sweatshirt, magazines, toiletries. Small dome helps a lot. The fisheye dome was a pain. I NEVER check my camera equipment in baggage, EVER!!!!

2 cameras, 2 lenses (7D and OMD), macro lens for each, 2 housings, handles, macro ports and a single strobe (s2000) go in a ThinkTank backpack. It has only gotten weighed once (in Brisbane) but he let me through, although it is a bit more than 15kg. The rest goes in a big blue Storm case with padded dividers but I can shoot if that goes missing.
Bill

I always use a cooler on dive boats and pack one when I travel. Haven't used it as a carry-on bag before, but it's a good idea.

I have a carry-on sized Seahorse hard case, which holds my E-PL3, housing, 2 YS-D1 strobes and arms, and a number of spare parts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom