How do you transport your P&S rig on a diveboat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BSOD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
(if there isn't a dedicated camera bucket on the boat)

Do you just throw it in your dive bag? Wrap it in a towel/tshirt/etc? Keep it in something like a Pelican hardcase?

Previously I had a simple Canon P&S housing, which I'd either stow in a BCD pocket, or sometimes just tossed in with the rest of my gear (in a mesh bag to somewhat protect the lens from getting scratched/broken). Just got an Ike housing, which being bigger, won't really fit in a BCD pocket. I don't have a strobe setup or additional lenses yet, but plan/hope to in the future, and I'm guessing those would necessitate a bit more protection.

i use a Seahorse hard Case similar to pelican case

keeps everything safe and nice and secure, have had lost optic cables and the like before very annoying.
kinda hard to keep track of you stuff otherwise on a crowded boat especially when you are on holiday with a mixture of different skilled divers. stuff tends to get crushed lost plus its handy to travel with on planes, mines small enough for carry on but fits my P&S houseing Strobe arms chargers batterys and big eyes lense love it...

i usually store in the case in the shade until im ready then setup

dunk in bucket take out drive with towel disassemble and then put back in case unless im diving again...

Last edited:
Don't leave it in the camera bucket. That's just for a brief rinse. If you do you are just asking for it to leak eventually when someone else plunks their heavy gear on top of yours, or pulls theirs out and it grabs your latches, etc. You don't need it to be in water on the ride out (or in).

Usually there is a table that you can put it on. And remember to cover it with a towel. The last thing you want to do is bake your camera inside your housing in the sun. That can cause fogging and generally isn't a good idea anyway

(if there isn't a dedicated camera bucket on the boat)

Do you just throw it in your dive bag? Wrap it in a towel/tshirt/etc? Keep it in something like a Pelican hardcase?

Previously I had a simple Canon P&S housing, which I'd either stow in a BCD pocket, or sometimes just tossed in with the rest of my gear (in a mesh bag to somewhat protect the lens from getting scratched/broken). Just got an Ike housing, which being bigger, won't really fit in a BCD pocket. I don't have a strobe setup or additional lenses yet, but plan/hope to in the future, and I'm guessing those would necessitate a bit more protection.

When I had a Sea&Sea 35mm camera I used to keep it in its pelican case, but you'd need a pretty big pelican for even the small Ikelite housings. I have only experienced a boat w/o a camera bucket a couple of times in five years of diving and in those instances I just held it in my lap until we got to the dive site.

Also, keep a neoprene cover over the lens until you're ready to enter the water.

Don't leave it in the camera bucket. That's just for a brief rinse. If you do you are just asking for it to leak eventually when someone else plunks their heavy gear on top of yours, or pulls theirs out and it grabs your latches, etc. You don't need it to be in water on the ride out (or in).

Usually there is a table that you can put it on. And remember to cover it with a towel. The last thing you want to do is bake your camera inside your housing in the sun. That can cause fogging and generally isn't a good idea anyway

Ditto on the towel idea! Just make sure everyone on the boat knows there's a camera under there...such as painting the word camera on a white towel!

And if you don't know the other photographers on the boat I'd agree with not leaving it in the bucket. However, since I normally go on trips with a big enough group that we get our own boat, I'm comfortable leaving my rig in the bucket with the rest.

I don't use a point and shoot very often. I sometimes carry one when I am teaching, an occasional photo of a student can help explain things.

But I do carry a larger camera a lot. I try to check ahead and ask if there are dedicated camera buckets onboard. If not, I will usually stop and pick up a large tub at Walmart on my way to the boat.

They usually only cost a couple of bucks and I leave it on the boat for the crew when I am done --then always have a use for such things.

If it were a point and shoot, I would probably just bring my own small bucket and fill it up and try to stash it somewhere safe on deck.

Jeff

I set it fully rigged on a towel in a dry area if possible, otherwise I hold it.

P4170294.jpg

I do not put it in a camera bucket to get banged up.

N

I use a large can cooler bag. It has padded sides, can hold water in need be, and be zipped closed and best of all you can put cold cans of beer or soft drink in it also.

They are cheap and easy option to safely carry a camera especially on small boats with limited room.

Regards Mark

Ditto Mark - I have been using 48 can cooler bags for six years now on boats of all sizes. You can line it with an old towel for extra protection.

I have found these to be of high quality, but there are cheaper ones available. They are padded enough to protect the gear, and easy to stuff under a bench or seat on the boat when not in use. These don't leak and can be used as a rinse tank if you are so inclined.

If the boat or pier does not have a good way to rinse the gear, I like to add a really wet towel (fresh water) to the bag before boarding. Zipping up the cooler after the dive and draping the wet towel over the gear can help keep salt crystals from forming before you can get the gear well rinsed or soaked.

Polar Bear Coolers, soft sided cooler, soft side coolers, soft sided cooler, soft sided coolers, soft-sided.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom