How do you transport your P&S rig on a diveboat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually try to find a space that is pretty protected. Most boats I have been on have a space for shirts, books, etc at the front of the boat and I place it there. So far I've been lucky and haven't had any problems yet.

Nemrod, it looks like you got that fisheye lens. How is that working for you? I am thinking hard about getting one for my Sea&Sea DX-1G.

Regards,

Bill

I bought two of these a year or so ago and use them not only for camera protection when traveling, but also as an emergency rinse bucket. Even with the zipper they will hold water for plenty of time since they have a backing flap behind the zipper to slow the water leaking out. I wish I could remember where I got them??? The guy that makes them uses "recycled" scraps of neoprene from a small wet suit manufacturer......cool idea. These are the small version for P&S cameras. My PT-020 and Inon D-180 with arms fits good. He also makes a large version for DSLR size rigs. Did I mention I wish I could remember where I got them???

P4194268.jpg

Attachments

• P4194268.jpg
    P4194268.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 38
32.gif

I agree with the other posts here in not putting your camera setup in a boat rinse tank. It is an invitation to disaster.

Most important is to keep the camera padded from the boat movements and insulated from the heat of the sun. That leaves a beverage cooler as others have stated.

I found this cooler in the Maui Walmart. It has a front pocket where I keep my wrist dive computer and other small incidentals. The large compartment has a removable hard plastic insert which I had padding made for by a sandal maker in Bohol, Philippines. I used a permanent marker to print "Fragile Camera" on the lid so people don't think it's beer or soda or the like.

I keep my G10 in a Canon housing, strobe and tray/arm in it as well as use it to transport them on aircraft as carry-on. The adjustable shoulder strap is an added plus.

Cost = about $20.00

case1.jpg

case2.jpg

case3.jpg

I use a 5 gallon 'spackle' bucket from Home Depot filled with fresh water. It's heavy but it's your own personal rinse tank, keeps your rig from baking between dives and offers decent protection, too. And it's cheap.

Thanks folks. A small soft sided cooler (maybe with a wet towel inside) sounds like a perfect solution, especially for travel and on smaller boats.

I use a hard sided cooler for my DLSR or my P&S.
It's a old, torn Rubbermaid cooler and i like it because it's like a hard box,
but offers som "Bang-Protection" due his insulation making it a bit soft.
I put the camera in a old fluffy towel and then in the cooler, as another protection for bangs and also a termal/sunlight protection.
Hard sided coolers can be filled with water and so you have your own rinse tank.
I had once a soft side cooler but he started to stink after a few dives because tha padding became wet and started to "rot".

Chris

My Canon P&S + Canon UW housing fits inside of an old mask box. It offers a great deal of crush/ding protection, weighs almost nothing, and didn't cost me a cent! When I travel, the mask box serves as a great way to give the housing a post-dive fresh water soak back at the hotel room...without wasting a bunch of water. I realize that not all camera housings would fit, especially the large Ikelite housings. I'm lucky I guess. :)

Nemrod, it looks like you got that fisheye lens. How is that working for you? I am thinking hard about getting one for my Sea&Sea DX-1G.

Bill

That is my Inon UFL165AD that I have been shooting for several years now, I have not gotten the Fisheye UWL-04 yet, saving for it so I can have my triple lens shoot out.

N

Back
Top Bottom