How do you store digital photo's on vacation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

by cheap i mean "least expensive". let me try to explain:

i have a camera and an SD memory card. what other "doohickie" could i buy and
take with me so that i can keep putting the pics from the SD into the "doohickie"
and re-using the SD.

i just need storage. i don't want to look at the pics.

Dee:
ssra....I didn't see any optional readers listed and the accessory link doesn't work. Did you find out the price?
Dee, from the link that you posted, click on the next button until about page 7 or 8 under the heading features and benefits (5), it listed all of compatible cards and said XD and SM cards optional. However I did not see the price.
For most part, I agree with you that I like my laptop with me. Just wish I had to foresight to get one of the smaller lighter laptop rather than my biggest screen I could buy, loaded with all the stuffs I don't really need and weight a ton :frown2:

Jeremygreen:

thank you!

that looks to be just the thing, and for less than $100 it's
not bad at all.

i assume that you can just take the thing with you, store
the data, and then come back and hook it up to a PC to
download, right?

or do you mean something else when you say i need
to hook up a laptop drive to it?

You have to buy a laptop drive to put inside it. It's basically just a USB harddrive case that has card readers. You can get whatever size laptop drive you want and put it inside it. It copies everything off the cards onto the drive and then when you get home you plug it into your computer and copy everything off. It also works as a portable hard drive. Computergeeks has a 20 gb drive for $89. So the whole setup would be 84.90+89=173.
Again, I have no experience with this particular device. compgeeks.com is a great place though.

-Jeremy

H2Andy:
Jeremygreen:

thank you!

that looks to be just the thing, and for less than $100 it's
not bad at all.

i assume that you can just take the thing with you, store
the data, and then come back and hook it up to a PC to
download, right?

or do you mean something else when you say i need
to hook up a laptop drive to it?

If you already have an iPod (or want another excuse to get one), Belikin makes a reader that takes a bunch of different format cards and will load them to the iPod.

I have the 40gig iPod and only use about 15gig for music so that leaves a bunch for my pictures.

My workflow is...
take pictures .... dump ALL of them to the iPod. Review pictures on camera and delete the obvious bad ones.. Leave the rest on the card (I have multiple cards). This way I always have a backup of any pictures that have a chance of being decent. If my case floods or whatever, I have the iPod copy. If I lose the iPod(nasty thought), I still have the acceptable shots on my cards.

All of those FlashTrax/X-Drive things work great as well but the iPod is small and that's where I have my music/audioBooks anyway so I would already be carrying it.

I dont Know how many people this will affect, but the memory card reader for the ipod does not support The sony media stick PRO, i dont know why, only that it doesn't work. just a heads up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom