How do you store digital photo's on vacation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marpacifica:
One problem I read about with the CD burners is the amount of data that you can fit on a CD. Specifically, the CD will hold around 700 megabytes, but that's not enough for a full 1 gigabyte CF card's data. Where are you going to put the extra data? I'm not sure what the Nixvue does if the CD doesn't have enough space -- I would think give you an error reading. You could get around the problem by storing less on your CF card, but that would defeat the purpose of getting such a large storage CF card. This probably won't be an issue with cameras with "smaller" files, but with the RAW files on my Fuji S2 Pro at full resolution, I can take around 50 shots on a 1 gigabyte CF card.

I feel your pain, or at least some of it. I had a 1GB card on a recent trip, but even the smaller 5050 RAW images fill it up fast (though I could get over 100 on the card). What resolution are the S2 RAW images you're shooting?

I usually back up my photos to CD, but even with being more selective on this trip I still brought back several GB worth of photos. I'm close to getting a DVD burner. That's what we really need now, a portable DVD burner.

I have a friend who has the Vizor. I doubt he's tried to back up more than 700MB at a time, but either way he'll probably know how it handles it. It might just prompt you for another CD.

I have a Olympus c-3040 and it only uses smaller cards than the newer models. I have 4 cards and bring a laptop to download the photos onto the computer. Thanks for the reminder to backup to cd. It's a great idea.

mandrake:
I feel your pain, or at least some of it. I had a 1GB card on a recent trip, but even the smaller 5050 RAW images fill it up fast (though I could get over 100 on the card). What resolution are the S2 RAW images you're shooting?

I usually back up my photos to CD, but even with being more selective on this trip I still brought back several GB worth of photos. I'm close to getting a DVD burner. That's what we really need now, a portable DVD burner.

I have a friend who has the Vizor. I doubt he's tried to back up more than 700MB at a time, but either way he'll probably know how it handles it. It might just prompt you for another CD.

Mandrake,

I have to admit that I'm still trying to figure out my S2 b/c I got it just 2 weeks ago and haven't had a chance to play with all the features. Here's the S2 file sizes and number of shots that will fit on a 1 gig MICRODRIVE card, according to my manual, but results will vary depending on how you use the camera:

4256x2848 recorded pixels:
Tiff = 35.5 MB, 29 files
RAW = 12.4 MB, 80 files
Fine jpeg = 4.7 MB, 220 files
Normal jpeg = 2.2 MB, 468 files

I shoot fine jpeg on "test shots" and RAW for when I get the exposure, strobe placement, etc. the way I want it.

So if I'm stuck on a boat for 2 or 3 dives, a 1 gig card will fill up pretty fast before I can clear it onto my computer.

If the Vizor does ask for another CD once it reaches its 700 MB limit, that would be a huge selling point for me so I won't have to lug around a bulky and expensive laptop (and all of you know how even a small laptop can eat up your allowable baggage/hand carry space on these trips!).

The biggest reason I take my laptop is I like to view the photos on a larger format than something like the FlashTrax to double check the focusing and exposure so I can correct anything I'm doing wrong. On our last trip, a guy had a Flashtrax and it was spiffy but the screens resolution wasn't fine enough to see details.

That's a good point I hadn't considered. But depending on where you are going, if the group is big enough there is bound to be a few notebooks in the group.

My buddy has one of the FlashTrax. It does have a small screen, but he outputs it to the television via the video connector located on the flashtrax. He is able to set it up to view a slideshow too. So if your traveling and your room has a TV, chances are...you'll be able to view it on a screen much larger than a laptop, but with the added convenience of its small size.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but viewing on a TV screen won't help for fine focus detailing. Hook your camera to a TV first and you'll see what I mean.

Dee:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but viewing on a TV screen won't help for fine focus detailing. Hook your camera to a TV first and you'll see what I mean.

Another consideration is whether the output is compatible with TV formats in other countries -- PAL in Japan and I think Europe v. the American standard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom