How do you store digital photo's on vacation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marpacifica said:

One problem I read about with the CD burners is the amount of data that you can fit on a CD. Specifically, the CD will hold around 700 megabytes, but that's not enough for a full 1 gigabyte CF card's data. Where are you going to put the extra data? I'm not sure what the Nixvue does if the CD doesn't have enough space -- I would think give you an error reading. You could get around the problem by storing less on your CF card, but that would defeat the purpose of getting such a large storage CF card. This probably won't be an issue with cameras with "smaller" files, but with the RAW files on my Fuji S2 Pro at full resolution, I can take around 50 shots on a 1 gigabyte CF card.

The Nixvue Vizor does support CD spanning. So if your CF card is greater than 650Mb or 800Mb (depending on the CD media) the Nixvue will ask you to insert a second CD.

It also supports multiple session CD's where you can copy more than one media card to a single CD.

So that's the term for it, eh? Thanks for the info. If that's the case then I could have saved several hundred dollars getting the Nixview rather than a laptop, then waiting to download onto the PC back home. Oh well. I wish I had this info a little earlier.

According to the Nixvuew Website on the Vizor, it takes CF, SD/MMC and Memory Stick cards. So with a C-5050 that I use CF and XD cards with and Beasts C-4040 with SM cards, that mean the only one I could use the Nixvue for would be the CF card. Right?

Dee,there is an optional card reader for XD and SD card listed under feature and benefits on the website.

kwesler:
for storage only, does anyone use an Ipod? I got one for Christmas, and one of teh accessories you can order is a device which allows you to upload various memory cards to the Ipod. Can't view-just for storage...

Ken

I have an Ipod but have not used it for storage mainly because of the inability to view the picture. Especially on a long dive trip where I might do a few dives at the same site, it is nice to be able to review the picture to make sure that I can get a good shot of something and if not, then I can try to get back to the same spot for some more remedial shots again. I also think that the resolution on the small LCD screen of the camera and all the little portable device is OK if you want to check the exposure of the picture but it does not have enough resolution to really check the focus/depth of field of the picture, especially in macro mode so I still bring my laptop with me and my poor back is not very happy about it.

ok... maybe someone already knows this:

what's the cheapest way to store images (no need to view them) from SD cards
while on vacation?

thanks in advance

ssra....I didn't see any optional readers listed and the accessory link doesn't work. Did you find out the price?

I'll still keep my laptop. I use it for more than just storing pics. I use it to make notes every day for a trip report, if I have time, and contact info for new people we meet. Also my emergency file has our contact numbers and personal info should something happen to either of us and that file is kept on the desktop so it's easy to find by just turning the laptop on.

H2Andy:
ok... maybe someone already knows this:

what's the cheapest way to store images (no need to view them) from SD cards
while on vacation?

thanks in advance

Depends on what you mean by cheap I suppose. On a per Gigabyte basis, one of these devices like the Flashtrax would be relatively inexpensive. If you keep all your images stored on CF cards, the larger 1G can be found cheaply on a per MB basis. But then again, if you can find a way to burn them to cd, that would be cheaper than probably any other method. I dunno.

I have an archos jukebox with a cardreader adapter. I just got back from a trip to palau with it. It worked great. It isn't cheap though. It probably cost about the same as my camera. The screen is spectacular (passive matrix) but you can zoom in on portions of the picture to see if it's sharp.
I brought back about 2500 pictures and a hundred or so movie clips on it.

-Jeremy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom