How do you store digital photo's on vacation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaRon

Contributor
Reaction score
I am mentally preparing my move to digital (that C-8080 looks mighty nice...), but wondering how to store the hundreds of pics I might take on a dive vacation. How do you do it?
  • Bring a laptop
  • Store them online
  • ???

I just bring enough flash cards - its a bit more expensive, but better than hauling around my laptop. Storing online isn't usually an option, given internet connection speeds in many places.

I'm just getting started in the world of underwater photography but I carry my Laptop (that is the excuse I gave my hubby for getting at laptop - it would make keeping my photos so much easier). Plus I down load my dive computer each evening too.
Becky

Charlie99:
Internet cafe with a CD burner. They had a reader for my XD cards, but lacking that, just bring the USB cable for your camera.

Charlie

I have a Nixvue Vista, with 20GB hard drive. It's a portable storage device with a small LCD viewer. It reads CF cards (you need an adapter if you have another format), and a USB port for uploading to a computer.

There are lots of other similar devices. I remember seeing one that, instead of a hard drive, was a CD burner. You could just burn CDs on the spot, and not worry about them getting demagnetized on the way home like a card or hard drive might. (Apparently the one I'm thinking of is the Nixvue Vizor.)

i've never done it, but i was thinking of buying five or six extra SD cards. will also
help me keep the pics organized if i use one card per day and label them.

just a thought

We use a laptop, but we use the laptop for ther things so it's not a problem hauling it. I keep travel expenses on a spreadsheet, download dive computers, play DVD's, etc.

While on most trips using more flash memory or a laptop is preferable but when you get home remember that we provide you with a lot of space to post them in our gallery. From personal experience I recommend you always make a cd or other physical copy just incase your computer goes down!

H2Andy:
i've never done it, but i was thinking of buying five or six extra SD cards. will also
help me keep the pics organized if i use one card per day and label them.
You would probably be better off with a few large capacity cards rather than a bunch of small ones. You don't want to start a dive with just 36 shot capacity like a film camera.

My camera has a video out that I hook up to a TV to make a 1st cut review of photos. I end up throwing out more than half -- out of focus shots, shots of the lens cover, photos of nothing but a fish tail, etc.

I easily fit several days of photos onto one card.

Many cameras tag the shot with date and time, so doing multiple days on one card shouldn't complicate things too much.

mandrake:
I have a Nixvue Vista, with 20GB hard drive. It's a portable storage device with a small LCD viewer. It reads CF cards (you need an adapter if you have another format), and a USB port for uploading to a computer.

There are lots of other similar devices. I remember seeing one that, instead of a hard drive, was a CD burner. You could just burn CDs on the spot, and not worry about them getting demagnetized on the way home like a card or hard drive might. (Apparently the one I'm thinking of is the Nixvue Vizor.)

One problem I read about with the CD burners is the amount of data that you can fit on a CD. Specifically, the CD will hold around 700 megabytes, but that's not enough for a full 1 gigabyte CF card's data. Where are you going to put the extra data? I'm not sure what the Nixvue does if the CD doesn't have enough space -- I would think give you an error reading. You could get around the problem by storing less on your CF card, but that would defeat the purpose of getting such a large storage CF card. This probably won't be an issue with cameras with "smaller" files, but with the RAW files on my Fuji S2 Pro at full resolution, I can take around 50 shots on a 1 gigabyte CF card.

For my trips I will be bringing a laptop with 60 gigs of memory and burn some CDs as backup. If I run out of room I'll bring a warehouse of IBM punchcard machines :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom