How do you pack your gear for an internatIonal dive trip?

How do you pack for an international dive trip?

• Put all of my dive gear in a checked bag.. lost luggage won’t happen to me!

Votes: 13 11.4%
  • BCD and fins in checked luggage, regs and computers in carry-on...

Votes: 89 78.1%
  • Wear your full setup on the flight so nothing has to be checked.

Votes: 12 10.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerbee

Contributor
Reaction score
Baton Rouge, LA / Puerto Galera, Philippines
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I’ve gone on international dive trips before, but only once with my own gear. Then, I just checked it all and hoped for the best. Now that I’m about to leave on my next 3-month trip to Manila, and have MUCH nicer gear than before, I’m wondering if I should do it differently. I’ve got 2 dive computers (and the charger) that I think I’ll bring with me in my carry-on, along with my regulators and hoses. Or perhaps I should just take off the hoses and check them, and just bring the 1st and 2nd stages in my carry-on? I put a Tile Bluetooth tracker on my luggage, but I’m just afraid I might get there and have it go missing and then have to ret for 3 months or buy replacements that I can’t afford.

Maybe I could just wear my BCD like a coat onto the airplane? Is that even possible? I mean I originally said it as a joke but the more I think of it, it seems like if people are allowed to wear whatever they want on a plane including costs and jackets, then a BCD should be allowable too... you could just wear it and stick it next to your carry-on in that compartment above everybody’s heads. Or is that overkill? I suppose if they see me wearing a strange-looking vest and ask where I’m going, I’ll just have to be sure not to answer “paradise”.

What do you guys do with your gear to make it across the ocean?

Theres been tons of threads on this. There are basically 2 camps - the folks that try to carry on as much as possible because they don’t trust the airlines or whatever, and the folks who check most of their gear except for a few smaller and more valuable items such as computers, mask, camera gear, and possibly regs. I am in the second (I believe much larger) camp and its extremely rare that it’s a problem. I know it sucks if it happens to you, but IMO people worry about this way too much.

I wouldn’t mess around taking your regs apart. Note that regs are actually not allowed in carryon in the Philippines. I don’t know which part they object to most, and sometimes you may get away with it, but seems best just to avoid that. If you get to security with your regs and they won’t let them through, what do you do then?

People often joke about wearing BCs and other gear onto planes but I don’t know if anyone actually does it. I think a BC is much safer packed carefully in your checked bag rather than stuffed into an overhead - have you ever watched how people jam stuff in overheads?

The other issue with carrying on a lot of gear is weight limits. US carriers are pretty generous about this, but most other carriers are not. They usually have rather low size and weight limits, and many definitely enforce them.

folks who check most of their gear except for a few smaller and more valuable items such as computers, mask, camera gear, and possibly regs. I am in the second (I believe much larger) camp and its extremely rare that it’s a problem.

I agree. Mask, computer, camera/light, reg in carry on. Wetsuit, fins, BCD, boots (unless I take my full foot fins), snorkel, dive shears, mesh bag, dry box, hangar, and a few other diving odds and ends in checked. Figure if checked bag doesn't make it I can rent that gear until it does.

I should’ve realize that this is a topic that has been beaten to death before... so it looks like I’m just going to carry on my 2 computers and one mask, and check the rest. In my luggage I have a Tile Pro tracker (new version), a TrackR tracker, two luggage tags in different spots securely attached to the zippers but inside of the exterior two wide pockets on the front of my luggage, and a full printout of my travel itinerary with contact info on the main inside see-through flap pocket. Nothing reading, it looks like the main reason for lost luggage is that they don’t know where it’s going or don’t know how to get in touch with the person who owns the luggage.

I’ve been on international trips probably 50 or so times, and I’ve always traveled super light and only had a carry-on backpack and perhaps a carry-on duffel, except for the last trip which I brought scuba gear checked and had no issues whatsoever, so I’m probably just overblowing the whole situation... but 3 months is a lomg time to rent gear, so I’d rather be too prepared than the alternative.

it looks like the main reason for lost luggage is that they don’t know where it’s going or don’t know how to get in touch with the person who owns the luggage.

Today they put a barcode on your luggage. You can check the airlines app and see where your luggage is or when it was last scanned. The only problem with this is if you're traveling internationally and you can't use your phone unless you can find free wifi!

Here is something I put together for a friend of mine. Instructions with photos. I travel for 1 month at a time and only bring 1 checked bag at 23kg (50lbs) which includes my dive gear (regs and save a dive kit included) and toiletries, clothing, etc. I always bring a 5mm wetsuit in this bag as well.

I carry on my camera equipment as well as a spare swimsuit, spare underwear, my mask and primary and backup computers. My carry on bags blow way past the international carrier limit of 7kg but they always let me on once they’ve seen my photo bag and can understand its fragility and value.

I hope you find the below photos with instructions helpful on how I pack my bags and make the most out of the space and weight. I bring a Scrubba wash bag and usually do laundry. In case you are wondering, the bag is from The North Face and it is a water resistant taurpaulin material. It’s called the Rolling Thunder in medium and I’ve been using it for over 10 years.

7E966D94-4957-4D44-859E-E9967957168B.jpeg 55F30EF8-C6E2-4719-A82F-881D9106D0CF.jpeg FC6014B7-3793-40C9-B6BC-F4ED471B1547.jpeg EFE58175-6993-45CA-B00A-FD01DD22A420.jpeg A34CEF50-951D-45F9-94A4-B71583E4B2B6.jpeg 9337DEE8-E203-41FE-B9F9-310786E3E19E.jpeg 60BDB118-E025-43A3-89E6-9CDF5BD2594D.jpeg 87727D82-CE6A-4A00-A3F9-3799D0EC511E.jpeg 6358C4F1-E7A4-46EC-B7A3-A84B0CC97E2D.jpeg

Everything in checked luggage (other than tanks and weights) except my wrist computer, which is in my purse or carry-on.

My camera is in my carry on, while the housing is checked in my scuba bag, with the o-ring removed or housing slightly open so it doesn'tget warped by pressure.

Fins, mask, backplate/wing, reg, and drysuit in one checked bag, undergarments and clothes in another checked bag, Camera inside housing with one lens and chargers and another lens plus ports and batteries inside a Storm case, also checked. Laptop, dive computer and headphones in a backpack I carry on. I hate when people bring two carry ons and take up all the space in the overhead bin.
47496740782_6e500804cf_b.jpg

I returned from the Philippines this past March. 2 checked bags with about 40 lbs. each. (Majority of contents being dive related ) 1 personal item & 1 carry on. Dive computers & regs in carry on. No issues taking regs in carry on. Both on international or domestic flights within the Philippines.
Most of my photography equipment is now put in checked bag because of weight restrictions , I have had no success taking extra weight in carry on because it was considered fragile. Just my experience.
Worst thing for me is paying excess weight fees on domestic Philippine flights. I do not skimp on gear taken because of weight. Save a dive kit , first aid kit & analyzers. Always pack the same no matter what dive destination. Is a pain lugging bags around but once at destination is worth it to me. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom