How do you mark your gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OceanLover91

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I have yet to figure out how to search exactly what I am looking for, I always get random threads that have the words in them...

Anyways, I was curious how you label or mark your gear. I like the idea of dog tags on your BCD and Regs but what about your other gear, like wetsuit, booties, mask, fins, snorkel, camera, etc.

I have been thinking about it for a long time, and I think maybe a silver or white sharpie would work well on the darker stuff and just a plain old black would work on the lighter stuff, but it's figuring out the best place to put it that has me stumped. For example, on my check out dives there were two other people with the same booties as me, and ironically one of them already had a mishap with her booties being mixed up, she now has two left booties... So I looked at my booties and tried to find a good spot to mark them but it seems like no matter where I would do it, it would rub or scratch off really fast.:idk:

So do you mark your gear? If so, how?

TIA! :D

Silver sharpie for dark stuff (fins, mask strap, booties, etc.), black sharpie for light stuff.

Best wishes.

Silver sharpie for dark stuff (fins, mask strap, booties, etc.), black sharpie for light stuff.

Best wishes.

Ditto here. No need to make it complicated.

Sharpies/magic marker is excellent for things with surfaces that can be written on.

For those things you can't scribble on, a piece of flourescent-coloured nylon string can make your gear easy to identify. I can spot my black mesh bag in a pile with 20 others because of the distinctive pink marking.

Firstly i would pile them together but it happens that they get mixed with other gear.

So I prefer a nylon string in all my boat dives so otherwise i remove it while diving in a small group.

Cheers

I use colored electrician's plastic tape for most items. One color for me, one for my wife.

e.g. if your booties have zippers, a piece of tape cut narrow, threaded through the hole in the zipper pull and doubled back on itself, sticky side-to-sticky side, works.

Tanks: paint pen, last name and a number so I can tell one for the other

Weights: paint pen, ,my initials and I highlight the weight. On coated lace through hard weights it can be hard to read and pass throughs aren't usually factory marked.

Fins, dive flag, lights and a few other items that could get away from me get phone number including area code with a sharpie, black or silver whatever will show.

BCs, Regulators and such so far are unmarked. We have been keeping things with us and we self service. I do have a data file with all of the serial numbers as a record.

We do very little communal boat diving so there isn't much chance for our stuff to get confused.

If you do mark gear you will need to refresh the marking periodically.

Pete

If you have weight pockets for your BCD I'd make sure you mark your pockets too. I've seen people lose them in a rinse tank before when a whole group had the same scubapro equipment. Silver sharpies.

Back
Top Bottom