How do you mark your gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would bother me if people knew I couldn't spell "snorkel" wherever I dived, but I guess that's my neurosis. :wink:

Hey, don't forget he's belongs to the dork divers forum :no:
Not saying I haven't posted there tho :eyebrow:

For hard weights, I used an old, broad-tipped screwdriver with a hammer and stamped my initials into the soft lead: /-\ for "A", etc.

For soft weights, I use a big permanent marker. I also write the # of pounds on the side of the soft weight so it is easier to identify. The writing on the little tags they come with wears off pretty quickly, so this is a good solution for me.

In most cases my gear is sufficiently unique that there is no doubt who it belong to and with some few exceptions, there I put a piece of tape or use the rubber ink stuff or permanent marker. Usually, for me, nobody is going to accidentally pick my gear up thinking it is theirs, lol.

N

Dammit...even with my name on it somebody grabbed my boots and left their's behind. Now I'm stuck with size 11s when I should have my size 9s.:angrymob: I dove this weekend and they didn't bother me but I'll bet the recipient won't be so happy!

No matter how well your gear is marked, if there's a thief on the boat with you, your stuff is subject to getting ripped off. But, after reading that great story about the camera showing up in Key West (what a great story), I'm rethinking how to mark my gear.

It's obvious that the tags, colored vinyl tape, sharpies and paint sticks work great. Since I test a lot of gear, I get to return it 'in it's original form' and don't get to make permanent markings. However, for my personal gear, everything is modified in some way making it unique. On wetsuit booties, mine have a 'button hole' sewn in the tops so I can hook a carabiner in them to hang them up. If a button hole won't work, I've installed a brass grommet (but location is important) to facilitate drying. Inside my flashlights there's a rolled up address label. My camera gear now has my full address inside the housing/strobe.

If you're diving at a resort where they have lockers to store your gear overnight, it's a great idea to make sure your smaller items are all in a distinctive mesh bag. This not only keeps the gear together, you'll see quickly if someone else has a similar bag.

From experience, it seems that those divers who develop a 'systematic method' for dealing with their gear will not have a problem. Those divers who have things scattered about or have to make six trips to their car when loading the boat might be the ones who need some help. I've been on boats where divers leave their cameras under a towel and totally forget it till the next day. I could see forgetting a weight pouch, but not a camera... don't forget to look in the rinse bin before leaving the boat. Most all dive operators will help you remember, but really it's your job as a diver to keep track of your gear and have it well marked so not to be confused with other divers.

Happy Diving !!!

I find it interesting how many people mark their gear on the "outside". Yes, I am neurotic, but I only mark my stuff where other's typically can't see it, but I know where it is (inside wetsuits, inside fins, inside boots, inside hood, etc) some stuff I mark with initials or such on the outside, like lights, gear bags, boxes, etc.

Reflective orange and yellow tape on light, fins, other gear to which tape will adhere.

Everything else gets a Sharpie or silver goop.

I put (very carefully) 3 small dots in the shape of a triangle using a soldering iron, most dive equipment has some plastic component to it, with equipment thats does not e.g. lead weights/steel buckles I do the same using a punch.

Back
Top Bottom