How do you mark your gear for identification purposes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiveturkey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How do you mark your equipment? I've never left my gear in a dive shop before but I guess it's pretty common to do so. My gear isn't marked. If another diver has the same piece of equipment as me it could be a problem figuring out who owns what. Disputes could arise. How do you guys mark your gear so you can identify it as yours?

:confused:

Every dive store has them. My wife and I have a lot of identical gear - her stuff is just smaller. We have one in yellow and one in blue. After my first 3-day trip in September I ran out and got one. Diving on a trip from my LSD - we all had the same gear! Same fins, same masks, same bags, same booties, etc.

We mark the gear with the paint markers (on the inside...so it doesn't rub off, its tougher to remove and easy for us to find).

They write on neoprene, rubber, plastic, fabric, metal. They totally rule.

Ken

First, I never leave my gear with any operator. I just don't feel anyone will watch it/care for it as well as I do!

My black Bio-fins have my initials on them with a paint pen. I've also spray painted the bottoms with silver paint, making them easier to identify me by in the water among all those other black split fins! :rolleyes:

I use a slap strap on my mask and it's seldom anyone has the same one although Beast and I occasionally get our masks switched...which is interesting when I have an Rx mask and he doesn't!

Not many other divers on a trip have a bp/wings but I do have my name ingraved on my BP just for grins.

I have the serial numbers for my computer and regs recorded in my logbook for several reasons, theft is just one of them.

My camera never leaves my sight nor does it spend any time thrashing around in a rinse bucket with other cameras.

Everything else has my initials on it somewhere.

Depends on the piece of equipment.
First of all, I make sure I have the serial numbers of everything that has them recorded in my logbook.
Marking varies according to the piece of gear. If it is a unique rig not subject to getting mixed up with anyone elses (my homemade canister light, for example) then marking isn't necessary. Tanks have my unique identifier stamped into the metal above the tank s/n. Fins have my identifier painted on the bottom near the foot pocket. Cameras have an ID tag attached with a zip-tie. Backup lights have embossing tape...
Rick

I've found a "Sharpie" brand indelible marker works well on some equipment - fins, inside wetsuit, camera case bottom.

Paint pens work well. Buy them at Office Depot instead of the LDS and save several dollars.

I put my name or initials on most everything to avoid...confusion. I also paint my name on the bottoms of my fins so that the guy behind me knows who just kicked him in the head.:wink:

Steven

reefraff once bubbled...
I also paint my name on the bottoms of my fins so that the guy behind me knows who just kicked him in the head.:wink:

LOL :D

I use a sharpie for stuff that isn't black (which isn't much) and white out for the black stuff.

but now I use one of those paint pens (I bought one from leisure pro, to see what it was). I like the paint pen, it works perfectly. A sharpie works nice as well, and is cheaper.

sharkman
:guitar:

Go to an office supply or even Wal-Mart. Thay're half the price for the exact same thing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom