How do you ladies deal with long hair?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i braid it and then it sticks out under the back of the drysuit hood. not ideal, i use moroccan oil to detangle when i get out of the water. French braid works better than regular braid with regard to matting, but sometimes the lump on back of my head gets bothersome on long dives. when i had an attached dryhood, i french braided it and then wrapped it up under the drybonnet which kept it in place when pulling the hood back in place.

How are you getting it under your hood? Are you pinning it up first?

Well I ended up shaving it all off... but when I had long hair I would tie it in a ponytail but on the last circle with the hairband I'd not pull the hair all the way through to make a loop and then tuck it under. Works better with a hooded vest. Didn't work well when I borrowed a hood one day that was too small (was a bad hood all around as it left a lot of my forehead and cheeks exposed) but slightly larger hoods were fine (as long as they were still tight).

I have recently grown out my hair, so this is a new problem for me. I have heard of the conditioner idea (also great for ensuring beautiful, flowing hair for underwater photos:)). I will try that.
Our shop carries the neoprene do-rags, as well as a variety of hoods and caps. We also have the velcros hair holders. Some women really like them. I braid my hair and hold it in place with a couple of regular hair ties placed in strategic locations.

I have recently grown out my hair, so this is a new problem for me. I have heard of the conditioner idea (also great for ensuring beautiful, flowing hair for underwater photos:)). I will try that.
Our shop carries the neoprene do-rags, as well as a variety of hoods and caps. We also have the velcros hair holders. Some women really like them. I braid my hair and hold it in place with a couple of regular hair ties placed in strategic locations.

In really warm water I do not wear a hood. I have been told that I look like Medussa if I just let my hair go. :shakehead:

One word - Buffs My fav has lots of invertebrate critters. No tying, no hassle, very styly and versatile. Fair warning - they are addicting.

The only reason I have let my hair grow out was to be able to keep it out of my face while diving. I hate hoods, don't use them even in November when you can barely swim out of 14C thermoclines in some places.

I use a regular barrette to pull hair back (I found a larger, slightly arched barrette to be the most reliable...like this one or this one.) combined with a "stretch comb" . The combo keeps my hair completely out of my face...works great. Sometimes I do stretch the stretch combs out of shape during removal, so I always carry several with me when diving. See this photo.

Now, I'm not someone particularly interested in my appearance when diving, but I do use either a floppy hat as protection against the sun between dives (which would also serve to hide tangled hair) or a bandana since I hate hair in my face in the wind, too. Then, after diving, I deal with the mess in the shower with conditioner.

I had no luck with trying to restrain my hair via bands, clips, braids, etc. Hair still escaped and got tied into knots. And I tried buffs, scap caps, etc. They would not stay on. Going without anything is not an option. I have very fine hair which will tie itself into knots which will require some hair breakage to comb out, even with a great detangler.

So now I wear a sexy beanie with a chin strap, even in tropical waters. Use a little detangler and all is well. I look like a dork, but who cares.

Mine is mid length, perhaps stretches down to my bra strap. With wetsuit and no hood it's simple with a braid or pony tail.

But with a drysuit and thick hood I find I need to put the ponytail high to pull on the neck seal, then again gather the ponytail at the nape of my neck to pull on my hood. The hood keeps the hair contained and out of my mask.

K

I have waist length hair and I wear one of my bamboo bandannas and I love the fact that it protects my hair from ripping out when I take my mask off. Bamboo is a very silky product, so it feels good while wearing it.

Back
Top Bottom