How do you ladies deal with long hair?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What works for me is like a modified french braid. Gather hair from both sides of you head, and the top (like you're doing a half pony tail, if you know the lingo) and put a band around it. Then gather more hair from the sides and the hair you just wrapped, and put another band around it. Keep doing that until all hair is tied up. I find that the more you twist your hair together, like a braid, the more tangled it get. Also I use a very thick olive oil conditioner to get the tangles out.

I think I will try your technique. I have also had more tangling by brainding my hair!

My wife has long hair, and I really would not want her to cut it. So I bought her "hair gloves". They're like an 8 or 10 inch long scrunchy. No more problems, and they come in lots of different colors and patterns. This makes her happy, because she can have them to match whatever bathing suit she's wearing that day...

What works for me is like a modified french braid. Gather hair from both sides of you head, and the top (like you're doing a half pony tail, if you know the lingo) and put a band around it. Then gather more hair from the sides and the hair you just wrapped, and put another band around it. Keep doing that until all hair is tied up. I find that the more you twist your hair together, like a braid, the more tangled it get. Also I use a very thick olive oil conditioner to get the tangles out.

I tried this and found that my hair just tangles around all the bands. I had to cut them out.

I don't have too much of a problem with knots if I put my hair into a ponytail, but what bothered me for my first dives was the little fly-aways by my face. My boyfriend bought me a scubadoorag and it works well. It seems to stay put better if I get it wet first and then put it on and it hasn't seemed to move my mask either. I put the tie part under the part for holding the ponytail and that seemed to work to keep it from floating away the one time it fell off (I didn't have it tied right). The only "problem" I've had is that I need to retie it before my second dive, but that's not really a big deal for me.

For those of you who have used the scubado rag, does it help to keep the hair at your temples from getting tangled in the attachment for your snorkel? That's my biggest hair problem. I have shorter hair - and I spray in conditioner right before and right after the dive - and then use Aveda sun care shampoo and have no issues with salt or sun damage. It's the tangling thing ...

For those of you who have used the scubado rag, does it help to keep the hair at your temples from getting tangled in the attachment for your snorkel? That's my biggest hair problem. I have shorter hair - and I spray in conditioner right before and right after the dive - and then use Aveda sun care shampoo and have no issues with salt or sun damage. It's the tangling thing ...

I always wear a hood. It keeps the hair out of my face and my mask secure.

A hood in open water, low pony tail. It still gets tangled, especially putting my neoprene neck seal on/off. I shove the ponytail behind me, only sometimes does it drift in view. I just leave it a mess until I get home. If I'm teaching a class in the pool, low ponytail, and a neoprene mask strap cover helps, and a gallon of pantene afterwards.

I've had long hair the whole time I've been a diver...been tempted to cut it off, but I hate short hair on me, and so does my husband

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom