How do you ladies deal with long hair?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayde323, thank you for that dorag site, because it has another great product. Socks!!! On liveaboards, where you do alot of dives in straight days, my feet would get so tore up. I have been using just regular socks, but neoprone socks....great, thanks. And their tie back looks like another great product, my hair is chin length and beyone curly so that would be a nice feature not to have hair coming through a mask.

Thanks for all the great ideas, I new I needed to ask those with some experience in this area.

What I was looking for was something like this. Under Armour Skull Cap But I really did not want under armour written on my forehead. This way all of the hair could be tucked in and held closely to my head and no tangles, no fly away little strands of hair, and not covering my entire head in warm weather.

I like the light weight hoods, I have to look into that more. The pony tail wraps and scrunchies would be great for the ends of my hair but I would have the same problem as Jayde has with the baby fine hairs at the front of my face as my hair is long but still has layers and not all of it would be in the holder. The doo-rag concept is good but I have tried it and it seems to slip off when I adjust my mask or if I have to clear my mask.

I might just have to look at a swimmers cap and see what I can find there. Or just get the under armour skull cap and just deal with it.

And like, StuartScuba said, thanks for site link that had the socks. I saw someone with neoprene socks the other day and forgot to ask where she got them from. I definitely need to get me a few of those for the bag to wear with my dive boots.

Neoprene socks are one of the best purchases I ever made.

Keep my feet warmer in the cold Great Lakes waters and keep the sand and dirt out on shore dives.

They rock!!

My hair is very wavy and very thick. On a regular day I straight iron my hair, but when on a dive vacation I don't enjoy doing that after every dive day. So, aside from the layering of conditioner and hood/wrap ideas, one of my favorite things to do when on a week long trip like Belize or Coz, somewhere that has vendors along the main streets is to have someone braid my entire head at the beginning and then I leave that for the whole week. I don't ever have to mess with it, I can still give it a good rinse, and then run around being a tourist for the afternoons. Then once I'm done with the last dive of the trip, I do a good wash & condition. And in several cases, after the good wash I'll go get my hair re-braided all over so after I get back I still have a few days of ease, while "reminding" everyone that sees me that I just got back from a great dive trip...;-)

I had long hair at one time. This is what I used to do before I would go diving and still do some of it. I bring along in my bag conditioner I use aussie I run it threw my hair than I would braid it and use 3 bands and my hair is not thick. When I was finished diving I could take my hair down and the conditioner would still be in most of my hair so it made it so easy to rinse out and no tangles. My hair is now shoulder length and I still use conditioner so my hair does not dry out from all the salt.

I worked with a guy with really long hair and when we wore the hooded masks our hair (my stubbies too) would have all kinds of stuff stuck in it and long hair would be tangled, except for that guy. He also did the conditioner before a dive, and it made clean up later prety easy.

Well, having spent most of my diving life with hair to my spare rib, here are some of the things that helped.

1) Tie it on the top of the head - tidy but can be uncomfortable - especially if you're taking the mask on and off all day (and also, I'm getting worried about traction aloepecia in old age).

2) Two plaits/braids low and loose

3) Hoods - and you can get them in various thickness - are really the best. They keep you warm when its cold and eliminates all hair problems underwater. I had a really nice thin one that wasn't neoprene (can't recall the make but it's popular with surfers) and it didn't have a chinstrap but went round the neck.

4) Even better - got used to it. It just becomes another minor irritation you deal with in diving. I've seen the most high-maintenance princesses transform into hardarse slobs by the time they get their DM cert.

I have bought a lyrca swimcap before and it worked 'okay'. See: TYR Lycra Swim Cap - Swimming Equipment & Accessories - Swimming Caps, Nose Plugs, Ear Plugs, Swimming Aids, Swimming Training Equipment and Other Swimming Equipment It would probably be vastly improved if it stayed on my noggin a bit better and perhaps a little more elastic would help it. Makes you look a little silly but it helps. It won't, however, keep water from your hair. You would have to use a more traditional latex one which will cause a lot of breakage.

I generally wear a hood (cold water diver) but always always always put a slew of conditioner on my hair 1st before trying to wash it. So condition, wash, condition. Also sometimes deep condition with conditioner under a shower cap during a bath, etc. I don't have beautiful hair by any stretch of the imagination, but it is pretty healthy.

I used to deal with it by cutting it, but still had some issues.....

Then, I tried piggy tail braids. get the hair damp, braid really tight and it lasts for a double dive.
Because I have a hair issue around the temples that makes my mask leak (and I didn't want to shave it!) I was told to use vaseline, which works! (but is tons hard to get out) the thick leave in conditioners also work, the paste kind? not sure how to describe it!

Those skull caps, I'm sure there are some non branded ones out there? Take an old hood and cut and modify it so it has a neck strap instead of a full over the head hood?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom