How do you find a dive buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My regular dive buddies are in my closet- my solo certification card and pony bottle.

Consider doing that yourself, there are tons of advantages and not just eliminating the legal, ethical, and physical liabilities when diving with someone else and assuming responsibility for their well being.

And I would do it again ...
I concur, absolutely! As of this past summer, I have my first one, finally!

rx7diver

Future_Dive_Buddies_200805.jpgB_AD_Poolside_201208.jpgCJT_Roatan_202205.jpeg

@Zef @rx7diver
I'm still trying to convince my 13 yo son to go. I show him videos of the interesting stuff I see and it's slowly peeking his interest. My 16 yo daughter is too busy being a teenage girl to be burdened with family time.

@Zef @rx7diver
I'm still trying to convince my 13 yo son to go. I show him videos of the interesting stuff I see and it's slowly peeking his interest. My 16 yo daughter is too busy being a teenage girl to be burdened with family time.
@Boarderguy,

I never wanted my girls to begin too young. Later, I was beginning to think they weren't interested after all. And then, a year or so ago, my college student showed a spark. I briefly mentioned this here Jacket vs back inflate for new diver?. Fast forward a few months, and she is now a NAUI Advanced Diver.

Your kids will let you know when (and if) it will happen.

rx7diver

@Zef @rx7diver

Gift them discover/intro scuba dives for a birthday or other such occasion...that will compel them a bit to use the gift. When they do it, go run some errands or grab a coffee/beer somewhere that is not the location of the intro dive so that they have the experience on their own and regal you with excitement and desire to do more when you pick them up afterwards.

One of the hardest lessons I learned as a parent is to look at the world through my child's eyes instead of through my own....

....years ago during a change of duty station move from one coast to the other, my kids were 8 and 10 at the time, we spent a week camping and hiking in Yellowstone National Park and another week doing the same in the Grand Tetons. For our first hike we chose a 6 mile loop out to a beaver pond. Due to lack of foot traffic on this trail, there was abundance of wildlife to see including a black that crossed our path about 2 miles into the hike.

1678039441223.png

I knew my kids could easily walk the 6 miles, as we did a lot of hiking while we lived in Washington State....and that there was my problem. I have vivid nightmarish recall of the meltdown my wife and I contended that lasted the final 3 miles of the hike.

Life's lesson on parenting that day was that Just because I knew my kids could hike 6 miles, and just because I wanted them to do it, did not mean they wanted to or thought it fun.

The remainder of the 2 weeks we did 1 to 2 mile excursions twice a day with lunch/ice cream or some other diversion in between...we saw a lot more of the park than we initially expected/planned and it was much more enjoyable for all of us, but especially our kids.

So try to see things through their lens as you present and guide their choices. While, to them, it's often not cool to be hangin' with dad, they often find it cool to show up at school on Monday mornings with stories of adventure to share with their friends.

And...

...If you have have never been there, take a family vacation to Yellowstone. Such an awesome place to visit!

-Z

I've been to all the continental national parks as a youth and a few as an adult. Gas prices are preventing a tour with the kids now unfortunately. They are great for the family of the kids are willing to participate and acknowledge the beauty, splendor and history the represent.

I've been to all the continental national parks as a youth and a few as an adult. Gas prices are preventing a tour with the kids now unfortunately. They are great for the family of the kids are willing to participate and acknowledge the beauty, splendor and history the represent.

They often don't at the time but they grow to appreciate the opportunities and memories later on in life...at least that has been our experience.

-Z

Around me is $4 gallon for regular and $5 diesel.
Ouch, That's so sad.

Here it's $0.12 a gallon for 95% octane and same for diesel ⛽

One positive point for living here :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom