How do you find a dive buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am in NYC and did a google search for scuba clubs. Clubs that meet regularly are a great way to find buddies. I wouldn't know what is available in the NE Facebook wise because I don't use that platform. It annoys me that they pretty much monopolized online connections.
Feeling blessed SB is available.

meetup.com? is that still a thing?

meetup.com? is that still a thing?
Several years ago it seemed like Meetup was a reliable way to find a buddy, or arrange a group dive, for the Monterey area. Thats how I found buddies. It was fairly active.

And then it just dried up, before the pandemic. I have no idea why. And the pandemic probably was the coup de grace.

Facebook is a viable way to find a buddy in the Monterey area.

... chuckles ... you dive like I do ... although I am usually solo when I ride my NDL, probably deep too
I primarily solo and our vis is always better where the the people aren't. Most of my dives are 90+ and solo. I even managed 104ft solo at Sunnyside when I found the end of the pipeline lol. That is a scooter dive btw

There are two shops in my area. I know of no site where you can go to find a buddy. One has a pretty thriving dive club. I found my first (and only) steady buddy by a phone number written on a shop bulletin board that had many divers' numbers. Not there anymore-- security reasons I think. But if you really want a buddy here they will easily find you one and be glad to help.

I stop by the local shop and give the secret instructor handshake. Everything is golden after that.

Seriously though, I’ve had good luck talking to the staff at shops while traveling. Many of them are divers and will introduce you to others in the local community.

I have done 126' solo, 134', and 135', all solo. The 134' dive was also at night. I sling a 30cu pony.
I've been to 124 solo before but I usually don't have reason to be that deep around here. I backmount my 13 alongside my 119 for deeper dives. I hate my 100s so the 119s are my go to for pretty much every dive. More gas is better imo

Back
Top Bottom