How do you dispose of a tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A customer came in the other day and left us a tank to properly dispose of. I looked at the tank, gave it a vis and everything except a hydro. the tank was a catalina made in 1988 which i believe has the right allow that will not crack easily. I thought about taking it home with me, but have not yet.

If i throw it in the garbage, they take it to the dumps and crush it or whatever. He could've done that.

Do they recycle tanks by melting them and filtering out the right allows or do they just throw them away?

some people make planters.. some people make bells..

if you send it off to be recycled, make sure the valve is out of it so it doesnt build up pressure while being crushed/heated and end up killing someone..

I took a couple tanks down to the salvage yard and got $$ for their aluminum weight, which equaled about 10,000 cans worth. I think that it was about $18.00 per tank.

Put it on ebay, people are still paying good $$ for pre '89 tanks

If the tank is bad enough to chuck, either drill a hole in it or use a chisle to make up the numbers (no fill station should fill it then).

But for yours, why not use it? If you don't want to dive it because it is old, then have it filled to only 1500-2000 psi and use it with an air gun or tire fill adapters around the house. Works great for topping off the car tires and come in real handy for blowing up pool/beach toys. I have two of three I use like that, I even have one I put any left over helium in for birthday parties. Just mark the tanks so you and every one else know what is in it.

ANd no, the scrap yards do not seperate by alloy, all aluminum getsa put into the same melt pot.

The best way to recycle that one is to give it a hydro, and put it back into service. If you want to be the Prince of Diving, you can give it a hydro, call the former owner, and offer it back to him.

Catalina 1988 is a good one.

Or you can send it to me. I'll pay shipping and dispose of it for you.

You could always make the old tank into a lamp

scuba-tank-lamp_small.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom