How do you dispose of a tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551:
A customer came in the other day and left us a tank to properly dispose of. I looked at the tank, gave it a vis and everything except a hydro. the tank was a catalina made in 1988 which i believe has the right allow that will not crack easily. I thought about taking it home with me, but have not yet.

If i throw it in the garbage, they take it to the dumps and crush it or whatever. He could've done that.

Do they recycle tanks by melting them and filtering out the right allows or do they just throw them away?

Remove the valve and take the tank to a recycling center. AL is about $1.20/pound as scrap, so you should be able to get maybe $35 for it.

If it was steel you could cut off the bottom and make a cool bell out of it.

Terry

Stu S.:
The best way to recycle that one is to give it a hydro, and put it back into service. If you want to be the Prince of Diving, you can give it a hydro, call the former owner, and offer it back to him.

I would second that ... especially offering back it to the customer.

Just take it to a dive shop and ask to get it inspected, they will call saying its bad and let them deal with it....

Nice lamp Mike_S!!

DEEPTEK:
Just take it to a dive shop and ask to get it inspected, they will call saying its bad and let them deal with it....

i am the dive shop

If you are the dive shop and can't figure how to handle the tank you have more problems than the tank.

give it a hydro...

IF it passes, attempt to give it back to customer OR some needy person/group (DAN, REEF, see below)

If it fails, a local recycler (check YP)... then take any "profit" and send it to DAN (or similar)

Whole thing does seem a little odd.

Almost sounds like the guy who dropped it off didn't realize tanks can be retested when the hydro runs out, and no one bothered to explain to him that what he was not some dangerous hard-to-dspose hazardous waste but a perfectly good tank that just needed to be rehydroed, or at the very least, a $15 hunk of scrap metal any garbage man would be delighted to find.

captain:
If you are the dive shop and can't figure how to handle the tank you have more problems than the tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom