How do you configure your gear (accessories) on your BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BiddyNZ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all
i've been diving with rental gear, doing my training with just a few independent dives.

Have just bought my own gear (Ladyhawk BC, and regs with standard octopus). i have a wrist computer already.

I am just thinking about my first dives, what to attach where.

Ladyhawk hasn't much by way of pockets. And I am thinking about attachment points for:
- light
- SMB and reel
- line cutter
- whistle

Just wondering where other people prefer to locate these items on their BC and why...

And anything else I shouldn't dive without (remember, I'm a newbie, just re-learning, no fancy diving being done!)?

Thanks

Last edited:
Well.... I won't bother telling you what I do because I don't think that will help you. Instead I'll give you some suggestions for where you might be able to stow your stuff.

1) the light. Your light must have some kind of attachment. Much of the time you'll have it in your hand (duh) but when you don't then it needs to be stowed. The only logical place in my mind to stow it is on a D-ring at about armpit level on either the left or right side (I use the right). To do this your light will need a clip. Never use anything like a spring gate carabiner because they can accidentally hook on to things like nets. Divers call them "suicide clips" for a reason. Use a bolt snap attached to your light for a clip. In your case I would recommend first trying the right shoulder D ring since yours is bent and it should be easy to access. If that doesn't work then go for the lower right hip D-ring.

2) the SMB and reel. Personally I use a spool with the SMB and not a reel. Reels can jam. Spools cannot. If you can put them in a pocket until you need them then do that. If not then attach the spool to the SMB and keep the unit together with a firm bit of bungee (4mm). Put a bolt snap through one of the holes in the spool and attach it to a D-ring on the BCD. For me, the most out of the way place to do that on a standard BCD is on a D-ring at hip level. I would recommend the left hip D-ring on your BCD for starters.

3) The line cutter. To me, on the ladyhawk, the two most obvious places to attach a small knife would be to tie it upside down to the left shoulder D ring using a bit of bungee to hold it to the strap or to attach it to the waist strap at navel level. But for this you ahve several options depending on the type of knife you have. What's important is that you can get to it with one hand. What I've also see people do that I like is to attach a line cutter to the forearm (under the computer) where it's easy to deploy.

4) Whistle. Consider attaching it to the light. The other obvious place is to put it on a bracelet on your wrist. What's important here since it's small and easy to drop is that it doesn't need to be unattached in order to use it.

R..

For larger things when diving a wetsuit (I primarily dive a drysuit), I prefer to use a pair of neoprene shorts with rather large pockets on them, as I typically dive a BP/W configuration. Doesn't make a fashion statement, but is useful.

Tammy makes a good point to see what works for you. It really is trial & error.

whistles from my experience can be tie wrapped to the LPI (corrugated) hose toward the bottom, but not too low so to conflict with the inflator.

as to the smb/spool - if no pockets then consider (if you can reach it) to put a d ring/slide on your tank cam band, and clip if off back there.

cutting tool placement is driven also by size. something like a Trilobite can be put just about anywhere... trauma sheers or a cold water line cutter need more space. horizontal (waist) or vertical are options to see where they can go.

lights, again depending on size are another whole bit of fun, with placement driven by need & type of diving.

Light in pocket
Whistle on my shoulder strap
Knife small attached to my bc
Smb and reel on my butt under the tank attached to my BC with clips and bungee bag...

If taking pictures camera clip to d ring..

I do what Tammy does -- I either have pockets (on my dry suit) or I wear X-shorts or the equivalent (neoprene shorts with pockets sewn on). Putting things in leg pockets makes them very accessible, and protects them from loss. Clipping things to a BC makes them pretty vulnerable to disappearing. (Oh, and my pockets have loops inside them, and everything in the pockets is ALSO clipped off. I have never lost anything from my pockets.)

If you want a pocket or two on your BC, you can slide a weight pocket on your cummerbund at the front on one or both sides. I have an OMS weight pocket and it's useful for carrying a spare mask or pocket snorkel, slate, etc.

If you want a pocket or two on your BC, you can slide a weight pocket on your cummerbund at the front on one or both sides. I have an OMS weight pocket and it's useful for carrying a spare mask or pocket snorkel, slate, etc.

Now THAT is a good idea I hadn't thought of. Thanks!

Biddy

Back
Top Bottom