How do you clip your gear off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only if you use cheap zip ties. Look for ones with a 50lb or higher tensile strength. Tyraps are a great alternative but they use SS in the locking mechanism which means a little extra care is needed. Not sure the black/white thing either. Plastic is usually not bio-degradable it is photo-degradable and I would assume a black or white will degrade at nearly the same speed. If anything one would think white would outlast black as white reflects IR better.

To resist sunlight, a plastic must be what's called "UV stable." Until recently, black zip ties were the only available ones that were UV stable. There are white UV stable ties available now. The process to make them this way increases their resilience as well as strength. If you're going to use zip ties, I think black ties are a better choice.

Over-researched explanation:
The process of making a plastic UV stable is not as simple as simply reflecting sunlight. A small percentage of carbon as well as a polyester elastomer during a mixing extrusion process. This increases their strength as well as their resistance to UV radiation. The stabilization process turns the material black. Incidentally, I believe this is why most rubber is black as well.

Because there is a significant improvement in both strength and resilience, I believe all black cable ties are produced in this manner - and it's a safe bet that if you pick a black cable tie at random it will be UV stable.

The difference in life is significant, but only moderately applicable. A white zip tie will discolor quickly and fail in 6-8 months. A black will last 8-10 years in direct sunlight. Your gear shouldn't be in the sunlight for even 6-8 months. However, because the black ties boast increased resistance to sunlight and greater strength for no increase in cost, I believe they're overall a better choice.

Recently, Thomas and Betts claims to have made UV stabilized colored Tyraps. Previous to the introduction of these cable ties (in 2008) UV stable zip ties were only available in black. It appears that they come in white as well. They may require additional maintainable (as Straegen mentioned) because they use a stainless steel locking mechanism.

It's easiest just to pick the black ones.

Some sources:
UV Stabilized nylon 6
Cable Ties, Zip Ties, Wire Ties
Cable Ties, Releasable Cable Ties, Plastic Cable Tie, Reusable Cable Ties
Thomas & Betts Ty-Rap® UV-Stabilized Colored Cable Ties
UV-Stabilized Cable Ties offer multiple color options., Thomas Betts Corp.
Thomas & Betts TyRaps Wire Ties
Code:
[CODE]
[/CODE]

If you like zip ties (I do) and are worried about them breaking under pressuer or deteriorating from sunlight, use these. I have a ton of them in my garage. Advantage of being a gearhead. :)

Mr. Gasket 6328 - Mr. Gasket Inferno Shield Wire Ties - Overview - SummitRacing.com

The disadvantage with these is that they're made entirely of stainless steel, and thus cannot be cut. You should be able to find a zip tie that both secures gear and can be cut if it gets caught in something. That is, of course, if you're stuck on zip ties. Nylon line is both secure, inexpensive and cut-able.

One of the biggest issues with zipties is that they are prone to breaking when twisted. For applications where they are unlikely to twist (as in securing backup lights) they're okay, but for situations where they may be subjected to twisting force (clipping off primary lights or scooters, or pony bottles) they're not ideal.

I use SS bolt snaps, attach them to gear with cave line, and then clip the gear to my d-rings. Depending on what piece of gear we are talking about, I might also use some inner tube to hold it down against my harness (e.g. back-up lights).

+1 here, too

I'll echo the statement, brass sux, get stainless!!

I started off with brass clips. Then I kept getting cuts on my right thumb and couldnt figure out why. None of my gear was sharp. Then one day, I realized it was my bolt snap. IT had self-sharpened like a razor. It was slicing me and I never felt it. I cut them all off that day and went with SS.

Zip ties have a use but like TSandM said they are prone to breaking when twisted. That's a good thing when needed but really bad when it's not expected or wanted.

I use this thought process for deciding on zip vs 1/8" bungie vs cave line.
If the gear would be lost if the tie failed, I use cave line. (lights, camera, ect)
If the gear would just dangle if a tie failed, I will use the 1/8 bungie or zip. (SPG, console, Octo holder, ect)

I started off with brass clips. Then I kept getting cuts on my right thumb and couldnt figure out why. None of my gear was sharp. Then one day, I realized it was my bolt snap. IT had self-sharpened like a razor. It was slicing me and I never felt it. I cut them all off that day and went with SS.

These kind of comments always get my attention. Doesn't anyone check their gear after a dive or before the next one? It's hard to imagine how often one must use a particular boltsnap to actually wear down the button enough to give it a "razor sharp" edge and still not notice it.

Cheap gear is cheap. Not all brass clips and snaps are cheap. Not all stainless clips and snaps are better.

Buy good quality gear - brass or stainless - check it often and replace it well before it gives that potentially lethal cut on your thumb.

Learn something new every day. I use Tyraps almost exclusively and they are about as good as it gets when it comes to zip ties. They are not nearly as prone to breaking compared to the standard fare either.

Same thing here. I just need to replace them still. I use gloves when I can to minimize the cutting, but, we'll see.

These kind of comments always get my attention. Doesn't anyone check their gear after a dive or before the next one? It's hard to imagine how often one must use a particular boltsnap to actually wear down the button enough to give it a "razor sharp" edge and still not notice it.

Cheap gear is cheap. Not all brass clips and snaps are cheap. Not all stainless clips and snaps are better.

Buy good quality gear - brass or stainless - check it often and replace it well before it gives that potentially lethal cut on your thumb.

It's not the button! Duh, that would be very noticeable. It's the channel the buttin rides up and down in. That spot gets sharpened into little blades.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom