• Weight Harness

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • Integrated

Votes: 99 51.6%
  • combination

Votes: 46 24.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String:
Nothing can help you if you suddenly become 23lbs positive though from a belt falling.
I came close to that a few times on my recent certification dives. On one of the rental belts I used, the QR buckle would not stay closed. I'm definately buying my own before I dive again.

Thanks String.

What they said.. non-ditchable weight is safe IF you can swim the rig up with a full tank and with a compressed wetsuit, in case of BC failure at depth.

That said, I use a steel plate (5-6#) and a lightweight STA (1-2#) in a 5mm fullsuit, 3mm gloves, beanie and AL80 tank. No weight belt.

-V

12lbs in rear trim pockets, 12lbs on belt, formerly intergrated but the weight system pockets went missing. Wasn't happy I lost the pockets (and weights) but actually find it more comfortable to have weights set up this way.

I use a weightbelt for singles (underneath the crotchstrap) and no weights for doubles.

So for either rig I have no ditchable weight. I´m ok with that, if you aren´t, then don´t dive that way...

I find with a 6.5 farmer jon that starting at 20 feet the neoprene compresses enough that no matter what you do the weight belt slips. Trim and pockets.

SS BP, STA and steel tanks, AL BP for my big doubles. I have different weight BPs and STAs. Depending on what I'm wearing, I use what works best for the dive. Some of the places I like to go, having ditchable weight would be unsafe!! :D

Here at home: A harness with soft weights, because it can be a long walk back to the car from the place where I exit the water.
Abroad: A weightbelt, because I like to hand off my weights and BCD before heaving myself into the zodiac.

I've found too many 'integrated' weights (esp. the ones held with velcro) on the bottom to ever try that one.

micknewton:
No ditchable weight? Is that safe?

I'm not criticizing, just trying to learn. I've seen others mention that they use a SS BP with a weighted STA and tank pockets to have all their weight attached to the BC, and I was wondering if this is considered an okay thing to do.

The only thing ditchable weight does is increase the chance of an uncontrolled ascent, which can cause lung overexpansion injury. I'm not sure why the recreational agencies preach ditchable weight other than they expect students to be overweighted to begin with so they need it that way.

my type of diving i wear a belt. Ive never lost a belt in 15 years of diving. as far as an uncontrollable accent , i myself would rather take my chances getting to the surface then wondering if I'm going to reach the surface lol.There is dangers in all types of diving just never think it cant happen to you..
finder

Back
Top Bottom