How do you care for your torch post-dive

How do you care for your dive lights?

• Rinse it fully assembled, swap batteries once dry, pack it away.

• Disassemble everything, soak and rinse all parts, dry and reassemble, pack it away.

• A combination of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may be crazy, but I'm not that Lazy :poke:

Fixed the crazy... Im just lasy... I trip salt, 1 trip fresh... everything gets rinsed sortof once in a wile...

Lungs... however... are religiously rinced with fresh water after every dive, and disinfected after every trip.

The rest of the gear... Thats what we hAVE caves for :D

Option 1, except that I don't store my lights with the batteries in.

I rinse the light (battery in or out just depending on convenience). Battery in charger. Once charged, battery goes in storage case and in with rest of dive gear. When light is dry, it goes in a bag with other gear as well.

Unless I'm diving again the next day. Then a quick rinse, swap the battery for one that is fully charged, and light goes back in dive bag. Used battery goes in charger for possible use the day after next.

I dive freshwater. No need to rinse.

I rinse the torch after the dive without disassembly. Once dry I diassembly it, remove the batteries and o-rings.
I clean the inside, o-ring grooves and clean and lube the o-rings.
I store the o-rings separated in a bag. Batteries also separated.
This seems not to fit in any of the three possibilities.

I've not had very good luck diving with torches because the flame goes out when I hit the water. :poke: LOL

Seriously though, I rinse my flashlight assembled then store with the battery removed. I wouldn't want to get the internal parts wet so I've never soaked it disassembled.

i wash the whole light assembled (corded canister light) after every day of diving. every 10 or so dives after its dry i disassemble the canister remove, clean and relubricate the o-rings. i also take a tooth brush to the o-ring grooves and threads of the rechargeable canister and the part of the canister that stays on the cord. i charge it overnight before the day i plan to use it.

Options 6 and 7...

Main primary light is an UWLD and gets rinsed when it's been in salt water, then put on the charging base. No need to open the battery case except for periodic inspections, one of the great things about that light. Cold water backup primary light is a DR head with a connector to my DUI Blue Heat battery. It just gets disconnected and then rinsed if in salt as well. Backup lights are DRIS 1K lumen handheld lights powered by alkaline C cells. They get tested at the start of every dive, and batteries changed a couple of times a year. They only get rinsed as well after diving in salt.

Then there's the other (warmer water) backup primary light, a LM. The canister gets opened post-dive, the battery disconnected, and the canister resealed. Later, it gets rinsed if it's been in salt water, taken apart immediately afterward, and the battery put on the charger. No need to wait for it to dry since essentially no water gets to the battery and the battery case is completely dry by the time the battery is fully charged. It gets put together with the battery disconnected, and taken apart to connect the battery just before use.

No rinse, remove cap, rotate 180degrees, place cap back on light, toss in dive crate. Charge before next dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom