How do you care for your torch post-dive

How do you care for your dive lights?

• Rinse it fully assembled, swap batteries once dry, pack it away.

• Disassemble everything, soak and rinse all parts, dry and reassemble, pack it away.

• A combination of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divectionist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi there

There seem to be two camps when it comes to dive torch post-dive care.

1. Just throw it in the rinse tank and done. Swap out batteries once dry. No big deal.

2. Disassemble completely, remove battery, soak and rinse all other parts, let it dry, lubricate O-rings, reassemble with new batteries.

Bonus 3. Mostly 1. and every now and then 2.

Just wondering how you care for your dive lights, assuming your next dive is at least 1-2 weeks away.

I used to be in the first category until I had trouble with some threads seizing up on a torch I did not use in ages, requiring lengthy treatments in warm water with salt away solution to be able to open the light up again, finding dried O-rings that needed replacement. After soaking all parts of the dive light, brushing the threads and replacing O-rings, the light was as new, alleviating any worries that water could hurt any exposed parts of the light, including the LED and wiring, but no issues at all.

I don't see the point to #2 nor #3 really. I only lubricate the o-rings everyone once in awhile ... as in like twice a year maybe. Lubricating them with every use is excessive and probably not even good practice. I've NEVER flooded a light.

I'll option 4... I wash in fresh assembled, store unassembled with fresh lube.

The internal parts shouldn't get wet, the external parts are external so disassembly isn't helpful to wash them. So far so good.

A combination of the above, plus...

Rinse assembled, but disassemble for drying and storage.
Day before the dive: Charge bats, lube O-rings, polish lens, reassemble, check functions, and check attachment points.
Morning of the dive: Forget light on garage work bench.
Borrow buddy's spare light.

Option 5. Rinse it fully assembled. Remove the dead batteries and put it back together with no batteries. I put new batteries and lube the o-ring in before the next dive.

I voted #1 because it was kinda sorta close to what I do

Given that I've switched to inexpensive 1000 lumen dive lights, I don't waste a lot of time on maintenance.

Option 1, except my main light is rechargeable. So, rinse, dry, recharge. Done.

My backup gets a rinse, and once every blue moon I change the batteries after it has dried.

Day before the dive: Charge bats, lube O-rings, polish lens, reassemble, check functions, and check attachment points.

LOL. Keeps you from having to rinse your light!

I can't even count how many times I have driven away from the house only to remember 20 minutes into the drive that I had my torch on the workbench in the garage and the batteries charging. Glad to know I am not the only one.

:wink:

Well... There is another option.
Get home. Battery in charger. Light on hanger. do that enough times.

2-3-4-5 times a year... find a nice cave... Do a bunch of cavedives... Light is rinsed well enough...

(It might get a splash of water in the shower when I remember... )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom