how do you attach your console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stainless Steel or Brass Bolt-Snap (in a decently large size so you can work it with gloves on) secured by 2 O-rings looped over the hose (Have to remove hose from 1st stage to do this) This is then clipped off to my waist D-ring, I can either pull it without uncliping to read it, then pull back on the hose, or unclip it... It used to be easier to slide it, but recently has been easier to clip and unclip... musta finnaly got the d-ring in the right place :)

I ditched my console and installed my pressure guage in it's own rubber mount. I then bought a clip with a loop and put this on my backplate harness around the belt line. The hose routes behind my left shoulder and down to the left side. I then went out and bought a Suunto Vyper which of course includes my depth guage. My original depth guage that was in the console I put in a hose mount as a spare or backup pressure guage. The "DANGLY" is gone! Here's me in Cayman (photo on left), guage hangs down several inches. Center photo is my "dangly" dive buddy on that trip. http://www.northeastcomputer.net/familypics/scuba/photos.html

hydroslyder:
Wouldn't the magna clips completely screw your couple hundred dollar computer up, and also your watch if you got it close, and your compass, I have felt these clips and they are really strong magnets, I can see what they would be good for but definitely not a console with computer/compass on it.

Chris,

What's the story with these things and interfering with a compass? Also, it says not for use with heavy things. How heavy? No good for a light, maybe okay for a gauge?

Overall, I'd echo those that suggest ditching the console. I did a year and a half ago and have been much happier since. Wrist mount is the only way to go!

John

I kept my console to house my SPG, compass, and backup computer(Vyper on the wrist) and use a locking retractor. Attached to my right shoulder D-ring keeps it nice and close and easy to find(where's my bellybutton?). Locked retracted keeps any currents from bothering it and locking it extended eases my effort when using the compass for long nav swims. Works for me.

I dive independent doubles by choice, which makes me odd to start with but also leaves me with an extra SPG to deal with.

The spg/computer are on the left tank and are routed on the left side in normal fashion with the console attached to a retractor clipped to the left hand D ring. It keeps it close and visible with the benefit of being able to be extended for compass use or close inspection. Not all retractors are equal and you need to find one with enough horsepower to keep the console close to you in a current. Mini retractors are not normally up to the task.

The SPG on the right is attached with cave line and a bolt snap to a D ring on the waist strap just right of center (yes..that is different). The SPG is still visible without having to unhook it and all you really need to see is the needle positon. This D-ring is also where the not-currently-in-use second stage is clipped (with a bolt snap snugly o-ringed around the mouthpiece). It holds the second stage in very close and is less dangly than using a neckace and more practical for the 2-3 switches required per dive. The second stage is also immediately available with just a firm tug.

One thing I have noted in this thread is that a lot of people clip their SPG/console across their midline to a D-ring or retractor on the right side. This was a cardinal sin when I was certified in the early 80's as anything clipped across your midline is a potential obstacle if you have to remove your gear under water. 20 years has not changed that.

It is also a potential impediment if you have to loosen the waist band and hike the BC/backplate up a bit for better access to your valves, and in a situation with a full blown freeflow, a few extra seconds can mean a lot of lost air.

hydroslyder:
Wouldn't the magna clips completely screw your couple hundred dollar computer up, and also your watch if you got it close

Contrary to popular belief, magnets are not bad for computers in and of themselves. They may sometimes affect them briefly, but once moved away will not cause last effects.

They will however cause damage to magnetic media, such as hard disks, floppy disks, zip disks, etc. They may also damage CRT displays. This damage will cause data loss and can sometimes cause hardware damage.

That said, if there's magnetic media in your dive computer, you have bigger issues than a little magnet nearby! :)

Think of the last time you set it next to your computer speaker (because that's where the interface is) or it rode home in a bag next to the speaker in your SUV.

Magnets are all around us, and if you have something that is adversely affected by the smallest trace of a magnetic field, you have some major issues to work out.

I have never heard of a magnet causing an issue for a watch, though in theory it may stop the clockwork from moving while it is in close proximity.

I don't dive a console any longer either...I use an spg and a couple wrist mount computers. The spg is attached by using some cave line and a stainless steel bolt-snap and attaches to my hip D-ring. Unsnap to read it, snap it back. Sounds kinda complicated until you try it. And for those that don't know what a bolt-snap is...Here's a picture.

Stainless steel snap bolt to the left waist D-ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom