How Do Install Pockets?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeepster0000

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I would like to install pockets on my dry suit and my wet suit. I want to put a large pocket on my left leg and a small pocket on my right for both suits. I have a DUI trilam drysuit, and an oceanic 7mill wetsuit.

Should I use a special glue, or do I need to send it back to the factory to get them installed?

If I can use a glue, what is the correct way to install it?

How long does the glue last?

Will my pocket stay on there for a long time?

Thanks
Adam

jeepster0000 once bubbled...
I would like to install pockets on my dry suit and my wet suit.
... do you have a good LDS near you that does suit work???

I could do the work myself but since the good glue is not cheap and has a pot life... I prefer to take stuff to a shop that does a lot of suit work.

The pockets for the suits will need to be backed with different material for best results imo.... the DUI pockets I have are sewn onto CF200 backing material and the glue holding them to my CF200 is holding up very well. Shane has the same suit with unbacked pockets and they are coming off.

Will your pockets stay on a long time??? Well the pockets tend to come loose at the corners first in my experience and that can be re-glued occassionally to keep them from coming all the way off.

If you have the LDS do it for you perhaps they will also include a warranty for their work.... I know the shop I deal with will redo my CF200 if the pockets ever start to come off.... they even offered to redo Shane's pockets... and they were put on by another shop!

Make your own, I did.

attached thigh pocket.

Mike D

:blfish:

I purchased a bellow pocket from fifthd and they recommended industrial strength E6000 glue.I purchased the glue from them with the pocket.I installed the pocket on my bare trilam hd drysuit.SO far the pocket has held great.E6000 glue is definitely some tough stuff.Checkout www.fifthd.com for more info.

Hi guys,

Have the same problem as I'm not too sure how to fix my pockets to my 3mm wetsuit.

Talked to a wetsuit maker, and he says that the pockets cannot be directly sewn onto the wetsuits :(

Was thinking of using the Halcyon method, i.e. Aquaseal (Urethane based adhesive), but noticed from the comments from others on this board that it doesn't hold well/long enough.

The guy who sold me the pockets recommend the use of an epoxy, but I heard that epoxy is not strechable hence not recommended :confused:

What alternatives do I have?

the pockets are generally sewn onto a seperate piece of neoprene which is then sewn onto the suit. Would be a major PITA to do at home I think.

WW

...for over 100 dives and have not had a problem with it coming off. It started peeling at the corners a bit once, so I just ran another bead of Aquaseal Seam Cement around the edge and it has worked fine since then. I don't see the problem gluing it on using the standard method.

Note that Halcyon doesn't really recommend Aquaseal, but rather Seal Cement made by the Aquaseal people. This is a black neoprene wetsuit cement (and just to really confuse things, not for seals) - regular Aquaseal just isn't strong enough for this job. DUI btw recommends the same stuff for pockets, on trimlam as well as neoprene.

Also, many people use the word "epoxy" loosely to mean any two part cement, and there are many different epoxies which must be matched to the job. The person could have been referring to a two part like Bostik 2402 or one of the catalyzed two part black neoprene cements. Trying to use hardware store epoxy as a replacement would not be a good idea

orca once bubbled...
Was thinking of using the Halcyon method, i.e. Aquaseal (Urethane based adhesive), but noticed from the comments from others on this board that it doesn't hold well/long enough.

The guy who sold me the pockets recommend the use of an epoxy, but I heard that epoxy is not strechable hence not recommended :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom