How do I know if the suit fits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a fit problem with regular wetsuits as well, but once I tried on the Henderson Hyperstretch, I found a wetsuit that I can wear without any discomfort at all. Since it stretches 250% in ALL directions, it is an extremely forgiving suit of varying body types. I have a friend who has a large chest and a huge butt and thighs, but narrow shoulders and waist. I have a large chest, very broad shoulders, a thicker waist, and no butt and thinner thighs (swimmer's body). We both wear the same size Henderson Hyperstretch, with the suit simply stretching where it needs to in order to fit.

However, they aren't cheap and you could probably have a great, custom suit made at LiquidFit for less.

scubagirl69:
Iit is choking me at the neck

If you are at all serious about the choking then diving this suit is a deathwish. Going unconscious is a bad thing during a dive.

pete

The suit needs to be form fitting. Any bagginess will create pockets for cold water to hang out and chill you! :frosty:

If the suit is too tight, it will cause circulation problems and make you cold.:loki3:

It is especially dangerous for it to be too tight around the neck, which can cause restricted blood flow to the brain, unconciousness, and a really bad day!:pity_part

Kind of Goldilocks and the three bears...it need to be just right!:palmtree:

It would be great if you posted a pic modeling the one you finally choose!:gorgeous:

Divin'Hoosier:
I bet your wife/significant other/dog/cat got a kick out of that! I can only begin to imagine what my wife, a non-diver, would say if I did that.

It seemed perfectly normal until you said that!!! LOL My family already thinks/knows I'm nuts...:D

BTW - it really did work! I also have to agree with others, tight fit is good, choking is bad!

OE2X:
Comfort is the real issue. A suit needs to:
1: Keep the diver warm
2. Fit well enough to not only do the above, but also not restrict movement.
3. Not chafe or irritate you.

If it fails in any of these three ways then it is not the appropriate suit. It can't be so loose that water sloshes around in it or else you will get cold, but it can't be so tight that you hate wearing it.

Restrict movement? Speaking of which...

I have a med-size Xcel which the specs say fit a man with a 39" chest. The suit fits great, and I know my chest is a little bigger than 39", but I can't expand my lungs to their extent, because of the suit restriction.

Is this normal? Should suits allow full lung inhalation, or is my case normal? Otherwise, it's not tight enough that it irritates me, but I'm used to wearing wetsuits for surfing and these don't restrict lung inhalation at all. Btw, I'm sure the chest zipper on the Xcel contributes to this discomfort.

For the cutest and most comical reply!
...just for you I will post the pics of my new suit!:05:

Divedoggie:
The suit needs to be form fitting. Any bagginess will create pockets for cold water to hang out and chill you! :frosty:

If the suit is too tight, it will cause circulation problems and make you cold.:loki3:

It is especially dangerous for it to be too tight around the neck, which can cause restricted blood flow to the brain, unconciousness, and a really bad day!:pity_part

Kind of Goldilocks and the three bears...it need to be just right!:palmtree:

It would be great if you posted a pic modeling the one you finally choose!:gorgeous:

Thanks everyone for the great advice. The choking is partly because I do not like ANYTHING around my neck! I never wear turtlenecks. I will try putting something in there to strech it out.

Hi my name is Kenny and welcome to the board. I own a custom suit...and its ok. One thing bad about customs that nobody has mentioned is I don't believe you get the prebent arms and legs like on the upper end rack suits.The legs and arms are straight. Everytime I really stretch I can feel some water come in through a wrinkle, not much, but enough to feel. I have an "Aquaflite" with the titanium lining. But the really great thing about a custom is that you can get all the zippers you want, which can really help putting on and taking off. Get the titanium lining..gold core etc.. It's a slik finnish on the inside against your skin.It makes for a great seal and drys extremely fast..5min. You can also get custom colors/stripes and logos. Check out a rack suit.."Waterproof" is the brand name. I think it may be the best suit out there and the price is less than a high end Bare. Again welcome

scubagirl, I think the suit you are wearing in the photo of your shark kiss is great. Why change it?

welcome to the board, and diving!!
well you want a tight neck seal, but not choking, most manufacturers make suits designed and cut specificly for women w/ ur... uh... problem (the chest thing) you might want to try one of those.
... and I agree w/ justin. anytime you want to come out here to north cali, I'll dive w/ ya (or... I do have a vacation comming up...) just my 2 psi

Back
Top Bottom