How do I film myself doing a drill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the weighted tripod/ camera mount suggestions.
I'm not familiar the different Go Pro models, but could having the camera "on its side" give you more of the shaped frame that you want?

Finally, while I'm not sure if you need this suggestion: to stay "in frame" for the video, take a few test shots, where you have marked your distance from the camera (using a tape plastic measure?), and for the actual drill shot, try to stay at the distance that you prefer. (The distance would probably depend on the drill you are trying to video.)
Much easier to do this for a land based video, a bit easier near a pool bottom (where you could place a marker at the desired distance), but it might help.
Good luck with your video.

My opinion is that you shouldn't be doing shutdown drills while solo. Out of air emergencies in the technical realm are almost never about running out of air. It is about shutting down the wrong valve at the wrong time.
Have the person with you hold the camera.

My opinion is that you shouldn't be doing shutdown drills while solo. Out of air emergencies in the technical realm are almost never about running out of air. It is about shutting down the wrong valve at the wrong time.
Have the person with you hold the camera.
So I have tried that but the footage was terrible and not so useful.

It is after reviewing the footage on the first dive that we tried putting the camera on the container itself during the second dive.

It’s actually harder than you think to make usable footage of someone doing a drill. :)

Maybe we were too close to each other when filming …

Get a wide angle attachment lens.

N

Using a gopro 9 or 10 with the front screen helps a lot. I discuss this a bit in the following video.

I use a tripod with a weight in the center. The tripod is all aluminum and plastic. No rust issue so far.

it is amazing how much you have to demonstrate good buoyancy control if you self video. Lose situational awareness for just a second or two and go up or down a foot and you are no longer centered in the frame.

I tried self videoing some skills a few dives ago and found that if you are far enough away to be framed properly, the front window on the gopro 9/10 was somewhat difficult to see. If the visibility is not clear, it is that much more difficult. It was very hard to do both the skill and concentrate on maintaining a centered frame. You end up doing three things at the same time, the skill, watching yourself in the window, and correcting your position. I did find that if you took things really slowly that the success rate was better. I also made the mistake of my head being at the same level as the camera. My head needed to be above the level of the camera.

The only conventional way to prevent that is to have another diver dynamically change the camera view. I think with some reasonable practice that approach may yield better results.

You could also try to make a rig fixed to you, but that would probably be a lot more complicated.

A friend of mine got a sheet of mylar and attached it to a firm board and had it hang from a dock. He thereby had a huge mirror in front of which he could perform all sorts of skills. I think all dive operators should have such a thing hanging during pool sessions.

My buddy and I used a Gorillapod to film ourselves doing drills.

A friend of mine got a sheet of mylar and attached it to a firm board and had it hang from a dock. He thereby had a huge mirror in front of which he could perform all sorts of skills. I think all dive operators should have such a thing hanging during pool sessions.
One of the pools I use had an entire wall of polished stainless. It was amazing for working on trimming out gear. Unfortunately when they re-marcited, it was never put back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom