Decompression Habitat Anchors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even small habitats have 200-300kg of lift, the once we used were 600L
That's a lot of power to trust a cam to hold it down. If you already have a sturdy ceiling that will hold your habitat in place it's a shame not to use it if the logistics allow.

Well yes and no, being pedantic here, but the cam itself would hold. A BD #1 is rated to 12kn which is over 2500 lbs. Assuming you had 4 of them (one each corner) that would be more than enough to hold 200-300kg and then some.

HOWEVER, rock pro is only as good as the rock it’s in. We’ve probably all accidentally broken rock while pull and gliding. Doubtful the limestone would be up to the task.

I kinda think an IBC tote would make a good habitat

Well yes and no, being pedantic here, but the cam itself would hold. A BD #1 is rated to 12kn which is over 2500 lbs. Assuming you had 4 of them (one each corner) that would be more than enough to hold 200-300kg and then some.

HOWEVER, rock pro is only as good as the rock it’s in. We’ve probably all accidentally broken rock while pull and gliding. Doubtful the limestone would be up to the task.
bearing in mind if you are in a habitat with 2 hours of deco and your ties offs let go ......

bearing in mind if you are in a habitat with 2 hours of deco and your ties offs let go ......

I mean that’s my point. I would trust a solid anchor in dry rock (like when climbing) to hold hundreds of pounds of load with no issue. But in wet limestone, I don’t think even bolts would be safe.

Limestone is hard enough, plenty of people are climbing and using cams on limestone walls. The problem is how are you going to load test it and how will the cam behave after days/months of immersion, under load.

You guys are looking for an exact perfectly safe answer. At this level of diving it's more winging it. Over engineer it and accept the risks.

It's gotta have windows......and a sign, LOL!!

AirBell.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom