How do I convince my overweight friend that it's ok to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all!!

My best friend and I are going to Thailand in August 09 for 3weeks for our 30th birthday. I really really want to go scuba diving. That would be the highlight of my trip. She is really overweight and someone told her that you have to wear a wetsuit when diving, you need to lather yourself down in dish detergent to get the suit on, and they don't make wetsuits in her size. In my amatuer scuba diving experiences (2), I've never had to wear a suit and I don't know enough to tell her the gospel truth. Apparently, the person she got this info from is really experienced. But I cannot believe that you have to use dish soap to get it on which make me a little suspicious of this person. So my questions are:

1.) Do you need to wear a wetsuit to dive in Phuket?
2.) If you do, are overweight people able to wear them and be comfy?

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I can't go by myself and I really want her to experience it.

It looks like you're in Baltimore... and we would be more than happy to help you and your friend... stop by and see us or give us a call... Ken @ Off the Wall Scuba (Baltimore) (443)-772-0595

Victoria3379:
Hi all!!

My best friend and I are going to Thailand in August 09 for 3weeks for our 30th birthday. I really really want to go scuba diving. That would be the highlight of my trip. She is really overweight and someone told her that you have to wear a wetsuit when diving, you need to lather yourself down in dish detergent to get the suit on, and they don't make wetsuits in her size. In my amatuer scuba diving experiences (2), I've never had to wear a suit and I don't know enough to tell her the gospel truth. Apparently, the person she got this info from is really experienced. But I cannot believe that you have to use dish soap to get it on which make me a little suspicious of this person. So my questions are:

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I can't go by myself and I really want her to experience it.

Victoria....A few things in bold. The person she got the info from about lathering perhaps is very experienced and that is a way to do it but IMHO I don't feel it is very good advice at all. Imagine lathering up on a dive boat before suiting up.
Wetsuit fits are not an issue regarding a person wanting to dive. They make all sizes and as some others have said, I too have seen many large individuals and they do not have to lather up before suiting up.

Damselfish suggested possibly looking into hyperstretch which I feel is a great idea.

ladycute1 also made a good suggestion about wearing skins to start out, especially since you will be diving warm water.

Lastly...I may be wrong but I interpreted "(2)" as saying you have 2 dives. Even if your friend gets certified I would encourage you, or if both of you to go, not going diving by yourself or yourselves. If your friend doesn't go there is no reason you would have to go by yourself, nor IMHO should you. Diving with limited experience in waters you are not familiar with brings with it safety issues. Hire a guide or dive with other more experienced divers. Other divers will be more than happy to take you along with them. I sincerely hope your friend will want to get certified but either way dive with experienced divers...and at this point...anywhere you dive.
Best wishes to you.

I'm new to this board, but I'm also female and overweight (5'4", about 192 lbs). My local dive shop is great, thankfully, and they took all the time in the world to help me find a suit that was comfortable for me. Yes, it meant I had to try on a number of different ones but found one easily enough. The only part that was a little uncomfortable was the neck, which you want to be snug, and once I'm in the water it no longer bothers me in the least.

I have no issues getting into my wetsuit. The only exception to that was when I was wet and my wetsuit wasn't. Then it required a bit of jumping, and a bunch of tugging, but I got it on with little trouble. When both the wetsuit and I are dry, it's on in under 30 seconds, no dishsoap needed!

I am 300 pounds and I sive, and wear a wetsuit, and never had to lather up to get mine on. I also bought mine for 160 bucks, and they had larger sizes than mine. So they are available in her size, and there is no need to use detergent.

I have the added "advantage" of being both short and round. I swear by Henderson Hyperstretch suites in size 1WP. I have both a 7mm and a 3mm. My suits fit like they are custom made. I don't know what this "snot" stuff is, but I sure don't use it. I have no problem getting my suits on or off. Henderson does not advertise the petite size suits much, and I don't know if you can get them on-line, but you can get them from a dive shop that sells Henderson. I would try one of these before going with a custom fit.

As far as being overweight, scuba has been not only been no problem, but it has been a life changing experience for me. I'm back at Weight Watchers because my big goal is to lose weight so that I can have better lung capacity and stay under water longer. Scuba has given me confidence that I can do anything. Tell your friend to go for it. You (she) can PM me if you have any specific questions. Have a great time!!!!

I bought a wetsuit when I was in my OW class because the rental wetsuits weren't a good fit for me. At the time I was overweight. But, that didn't mean there weren't wetsuits to fit me. Just that I couldn't walk into any dive shop and expect them to have one on their rental racks that fit right. I ended up with a Henderson Hyperstretch that I loved.

I had some of the same reservations about diving, honestly. Whether or not equipment would fit... Hanging out on boats in skintight suits.... But the call of a new and interesting hobby was stronger than those other things, and once I was in the water, I knew I was hooked.

So, maybe your friend just needs some encouragement that she's not going to be in a dive shop on the day of the class desperately trying to find something that fits. A little advance prep may help. But, it could be that she's not interested, in which case she'd likely not make a great dive buddy anyway. Hopefully, since she's your best friend, you can figure out which it is well before the trip and make a plan you'll both be happy with. :)

:blinking:lots of good advice here.....
I wonder if some of the problem is not just discomfort with water but the whole idea of being in a swim suit, wetsuit or whatever in front of a lot of people. Some of us are self conscious about that. Divers tend to be so focused and excited about what they are going to or have just seen they don't tend to pay attention to anything else.:blinking: You lose the shyness pretty quickly when you realize that.

:blinking:Hey a gal has to love any sport where they say.... "you just don't weigh enough.. here is some lead to put in your pockets":lotsalove:

I have never heard of or seen anyone use that soap concoction to get into a wetsuit! I have seen it used for seals on drysuits tho. Tropical.... doubt anyone from Baltimore will feel the cold enough to need more than a lycra! Almitywife is right... get an aeroskin for protection from stinging things and the sun for snorkeling...

Have fun... it is a brilliant sport

1). Personally for me, wearing wetsuit is not just about water temperature. Water temperature, yes, if you do multiple dives multiple days, even warm water (28-29 C) can be chilling. Some dive sites often have termocline you got to watch out for.
I wear wetsuit to protect me from rash etc I always get if the my skin is exposed during diving. It might be allergic or some particles in the water.
Wetsuit also protects from hydroids etc but perfect buoyancy will prevent brushing against them.

2). I'm not overweight at all, but getting into thick wetsuit is a challenge for me, since I don't like the process and the tight feeling. What I do is:

- For thicker wetsuit, find the one with zipper on the arms and legs or even long body zipper. It compromises on the temperature protection but nothing beat heatstroke.

- Wear your wetsuit with some method:
1. tieing plastic bag in your feet, you can slide in the wetsuit more easily.
2. wearing it in the swimming pool

- wear more comfortable type that is suitable for tropical.
so far I love my 0.5mm wetsuit, you can choose the one with thermal lining to get good protection. It's comfortable, easy to slide in, strecthed and adjusted because it basically only skin thick, yet it protects and comfortable. If off the rack don't have her size, you can customized.

In fact, I believe that if you dive often enough, best suit is customized suit, unless you find one that you are really comfortable at.
Customized advantage you can create your own preferance, putting zipper everywhere!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom