How do do you handle Li-ion dive light batteries....on an international flight??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These are FANTASTIC suggestions!! I sure appreciate the info and time folks have shared!! SB rocks...because of y'all awesome members :D

Don't 9 volt batteries need a special warning? Unprotected, they can cause a dangerous spark in luggage.

I once had one short out on a coin in my pocket while I was driving. The coin got so hot that it gave me a circular burn on my leg before I could get the car stopped and get out to move it. And yes, I had to drop my pants on the side of the road.

Don't 9 volt batteries need a special warning? Unprotected, they can cause a dangerous spark in luggage.
9_Volt_Battery_Myths-Creative_Safety_Supply-600x188.jpg

Not sure if that's true or not, but the internet claims it is :wink:

From https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/...ces/Safety-tip-sheets/9VoltBatterySafety.ashx
9-volt batteries can be dangerous. The positive and negative posts are close together. If a metal object touches the two posts of a 9-volt battery, it can cause a short circuit. This can make enough heat to start a fire.
It is unsafe to store 9-volt batteries in a drawer near paper clips, coins, pens, or other batteries. Do not store common household items such as steel wool, aluminum foil, and keys near 9-volt batteries. If these items touch the two posts, there is a greater risk of a fire starting.
Weak batteries may have enough charge to cause a fire. Some fires have started in trash when 9-volt batteries were thrown away with other metal items

Is there any dive gear that uses those 9v batteries?

The NFPA's opinion sounds more reasonable to me. That DOT quote sounds like it was written by someone who doesn't understand electricity. Some 9v batteries are capable of producing 20a... at 9v that's 180 watts! Granted, that wouldn't happen for very long before the thing was dead (probably seconds) but definitely long enough to cause a fire.

Is there any dive gear that uses those 9v batteries?
I have a couple of Analox testers that do. There may well be other items.

I think the FFM buddy phone coms do.
They do. I completely forgot about the battery when I took mine to Honduras in 2018. Alkaline anyway, so probably not much of an issue.

The NFPA's opinion sounds more reasonable to me. That DOT quote sounds like it was written by someone who doesn't understand electricity. Some 9v batteries are capable of producing 20a... at 9v that's 180 watts! Granted, that wouldn't happen for very long before the thing was dead (probably seconds) but definitely long enough to cause a fire.
And definitely long enough to burn the crap out of my leg! :^)

Back
Top Bottom