How do do you handle Li-ion dive light batteries....on an international flight??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andrew Dawson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

My wife and I are headed to Cozumel mid-Aug...and in preparing...I was looking to bring my dive lights for night diving especially. Now, my kit has dive lights with [mostly] matcing Li-ion batts...that are 26650, one ea...or might be able to do a 18600[but less light]....I do not believe there is an off the shelf solution that takes regular batts [9V, D, C, AA, etc].

Well, are we able to bring Li-ion batteries on flights? TIA!! :)

Yes, just pack it in your carry on. I take my huge can light to Mexico all the time.

Lithium batteries should always go in your carry-on bag packed in such a way so they can't inadvertantly touch each other. For safety, a good idea is to put electrical tape ove the positive end of the batteries. This is just to prevent them from touching something that could cause them to short out and overheat.

This is such an easy question to get clear answers to from FAA and TSA and airline websites.
And, yet, it is asked endlessly on SB.

This is such an easy question to get clear answers to from FAA and TSA and airline websites.
And, yet, it is asked endlessly on SB.
Sure, it's nice to compare solutions with fellow divers.
I have a bunch of plastic cases similar to these on Amazon They make them for various battery sizes including gopro batteries.
Taping the terminals with electric tape probably works well, but I like those cases the best. I use them for my NiMH and even some alkaline batteries. One could probably find better prices than Amazon's.

Don't 9 volt batteries need a special warning? Unprotected, they can cause a dangerous spark in luggage.

Sure, it's nice to compare solutions with fellow divers.

Taping the terminals with electric tape probably works well, but I like those cases the best. I use them for my NiMH and even some alkaline batteries. One could probably find better prices than Amazon's.

I bought a different item, larger quantity, lower unit cost. The link was not a recommendation for that particular listing, just a representation of the type of product. Still, it's pretty cheap and they last forever.

I've also used tiny ziplock baggies for my 18650 cells. Each one went into a baggie and then into a small box which went into my carry-on. I like the little plastic deals reefhound found on amazon better, although 1000 baggies cost as much as that 6-pack of boxes.

I recently bought some "good" 10a3.6ah lithium cells (vs the reclaimed from old laptops that I had previously). Those cells all came in plastic boxes identical to the ones ReefHound linked - so I'll be using the boxes instead of baggies going forward.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom