How do dive shops treat new or would-be divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had mixed experiences.

My LDS in Windsor, Ontario - Benthic Scuba has been awesome to me since day one. They have amazing instructors and my open water was a great experience. The other day I picked up a set of Twin Jets (shhh, I like em') and the sticker was slightly above what I would call retail, regardless the owner knocked off $60 bringing them down to what I would call "ebay" pricing and when his wife asked what the hell he was doing he said "Dave is my customer and he never pays whats printed on the sticker" - I was baffled and pleased but he and I know that is why I keep coming back. Case in point I just dropped $1260 Canadian on a Bare XCD2-Tech dry on Monday.

I've had the opposite end of the spectrum too... I walked into Red Devil Scuba in Chatham and it was not a pleasant experience. I was discussing with the owner how I occasionally will solo "Dive" our local lake (15' depth) and work on skills. Seriously, no current, no entaglements, I sit at the bottom of the anchor line and look at fish and work on skills - not exactly solo bounce diving to 150'. He proceeds to say "No offense" and then follows up with calling me an idiot for solo diving and tells me a rediculous story about how his 2nd stage separated from his mouth piece and explains that he would have died had his buddy not been there. Regardless of the holes in that story I smiled and nodded. But seriously... How the hell does that work? "No Offense" doesn't mean you can get away with saying whatever you want afterwards, to a potential customer no less. I realize not everyone approves with Solo diving, it is a personal choice but if you want me to come back in your store and buy things from you, please don't call me an idiot... that's just common business sense.

The dive industry is a service industry. Unfortunately many people in the industry don't seem to understand that. They also seem to forget that we were all newbies at one time. Personally, I am glad to talk with or dive with anyone at any skill level that wants to enjoy and improve their diving. We formed a shop dive club a couple of years ago and it prospers because of the social interaction between the divers at all levels from newbie to advance technical diver.
If you are mistreated at a Dive shop you should vote with your feet and find a shop where you feel more comfortable.
I am sure that any shop will have some dissatisfied customers but our success depends on making our customers feel special.

No wonder actual new dive certifications are down. Diving is great, weightless and free, open to all the oceans and waters on the planet. If we had a new participation of just 1% of the US population we would have
3 million new divers each year. Last year it was under 300,000.

Is the 300,000 worldwide or US only?

I'm really glad a manufacturer has chimed in. Are there any things that you guys have done to prod the bad seeds to become better in customer service? I think a training program, or at minimum a video, filled with plenty of numbers to really make these people get it, would be a great start.

I've said it before and I will keep on saying it.... as a matter of fact, I had to go back thru this thread to make sure I hadn't already said it here.... My 1st LDS experience was and continues to be wonderful. Salem Scuba has a great selection and a knowledgeable staff who are always friendly and helpful. I have yet to pay the "sticker price" on anything I have purchased there. They have won over my loyalty, and I sing thier praises every chance I get.

Is the 300,000 worldwide or US only?

I'm really glad a manufacturer has chimed in. Are there any things that you guys have done to prod the bad seeds to become better in customer service? I think a training program, or at minimum a video, filled with plenty of numbers to really make these people get it, would be a great start.

divingyogini: Good comments. There are a number of companies making an effort in this area. The new cert # is for the US and is south of 300,000, probably closer to 250k. A sad # in any case.

There are good stores, The store mentioned above is one of them.
Blake Fry runs a great store in Salem and he has watched others come and go over the years.

This year DEMA is undertaking a "Be a Diver" campaign with a $900,000 media budget and a serious attempt to increase new certifications.

We have a plethora of dive shops in town. After a trip to the GBR I decided to get back into cold water diving after almost 20 years of only warm water vacation diving.

Interviewed all of the nearby shops for two reasons. First to get their recommendations re a dry suit and gear, second to determine if this was a place I wanted to do business with on a continuing basis. There was a significant range of recommendations - none of which were inappropriate, but only three that really listened to try and figure out my needs - as opposed to selling me what they stocked. I ended up buying most of my gear at one of these shops and find it a couple of years later a place I can drop by and am still welcome as a customer - even though I don't spend much $ there any more. Pretty much have everything I need except air.

Only one was completely useless. The staff was not willing to answer my questions and was somewhat impatient and just wanted to sell gear. They are no longer in business.

Yes all the local shops are more expensive than buying on line, but as a local business owner who has lost significant business to big name consulting firms in the US I am prepared to buy local as long as the markup is reasonable - so there is a local dive industry and a shop or two that I can hang out at.

Back
Top Bottom