How do dive shops treat new or would-be divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, in general, unfortunately, we treat new/potential new divers very poor. Someone interested in diving somehow finds a local dive store, they go in, not to use the bathroom, to find some information about diving. All to often, they meet someone with a hundred dives or less who wants to talk about tech and 7 foot hoses, BP/W and how awful anything else is, or, they run into the real hard sell, "if you don't buy it here, don't come here" types. Lots of folks just turn around, walk out, get back in their car, and go off somewhere else. This has been going on for years.

No wonder actual new dive certifications are down. Diving is great, weightless and free, open to all the oceans and waters on the planet. If we had a new participation of just 1% of the US population we would have
3 million new divers each year. Last year it was under 300,000.

No wonder actual new dive certifications are down. Diving is great, weightless and free, open to all the oceans and waters on the planet. If we had a new participation of just 1% of the US population we would have
3 million new divers each year. Last year it was under 300,000.

Wow, that is quite an interesting fact. I thought divng was more popular than that.

I guess when you are involved in something, and it surrounds your lfe, you assume that a lot of people do it(what is the word here? egocentric?).

Another thought: If it was possible to get at least 1% of the population or more into diving, just think of what that would do for the world. The reason I say this is that diving helps us to create a greater awareness of the environment (as does most outdoor activities do as well, I suppose) and how fragile it is. When we dive we see the greatness that is at stake.

......Another thought: If it was possible to get at least 1% of the population or more into diving, just think of what that would do for the world.......e.
you have obviously never tried to find parking in sydney after 10am on a weekend :shakehead:

we need less divers not more :wink:

cheers

Great comments guys. I agree that customer service does suck sometimes. I work customer service, and there are a lot of customers who are f'n idiots(most often, these are the people who think I'm the idiot. The customer isn't always right.) I treat all of my customers with respect(until they piss me off) To be quite honest though, I cannot say that all of my customers treat me with the same respect I give them. I wish everyone could have experience in customer service, it's not a cake walk like most people think. In a few years I'll be a nurse, and although I won't be in 'customer service' per se, but I will still treat my patients with the same respect.:D

You will find a lot of hospitals are going toward the health care as a product model. The patient is the customer, and the customer is always right. As a registered nurse, I find that the hospitals are more interested in the bottom line (more often than not) than in what is best for staff/patient. Then, there are those patients who feel entitled to different care than they require. Your customer service skills are definately going to get a workout.

Colothomas

At the LDS I worked at in North Carolina, we would have customers walk in rather often saying that the people in the other shop across town were mean to them. We would welcome them in and explain that we have a policy to always be nice to every customer. We also had strict instructions to never speak badly about the other shop.

People would just come in, hang out and talk diving. Sometimes they bought something.

That shop is still going, the other one folded.

Every time I get disappointed in a dive shop or operator, I next see something good.

Last week a SB group planned a Florida Blue Springs dive. These divers got an email from a newbie asking to join. Well, they let him join their group and congratulated him after. That’s reaching out a hand of welcome.

Also, my buddy sold some gear to a co-worker whose son was interested in diving. He could have gotten twice as much on eBay. This is the same fine man who welcomed me back into diving after years off.

A lot of people, some with kids, ask me about diving when they see me at state parks. I take all the time they want to explain anything they ask. (Some ask if I pee in the suit).

In the diving world, divers are more important than dive shops. Each of us can work to make things more friendly.

Wow, there are horror stories out there, but it is good to hear from the dive shops in this discussion that DO recognize the marketing principle that it takes I think 3 - 5 times the amount of money to get a new customer than to keep a current one happy.

I'm just wondering how many people get turned off from diving because of their experience with the first dive shop they go to.

Jimmer, I love your idea and how you are bringing that fresh approach to your dive shop. A little public relations goes a long way. Saltwater pool - lucky you!

I wasn't happy with the first LDs experience. I found another LDS and certified. I have since purchased just about everything from them and have been a diver for several years now. My feeling is that if someone really wants to dive they will find a way.

I have to say that my experience as an aspiring and new diver, with the shop where I got certified, was a good one. We were welcomed, and the sales staff spent quite a bit of time with us after our class, while we decided what we wanted to buy. We got some good advice on some of the gear -- The Aqualung Titan regs we bought I still think were an excellent choice. And the guy who told me that the Scubapro split fins wouldn't give me cramps was right -- they didn't. Of course, my Jets don't, either :) And even after we'd done our initial monetary hemorrhage, I was greeted with big smiles and honest warmth for a long time.

I could be cynical and say that the amount of money we dropped there should have bought a few smiles, but really, I think the people just like diving and divers, and enjoyed my obvious enthusiasm.

I have my criticisms of my introduction to diving, but the welcome I got is not one of them.

Although the LDS experience does, all too often, turn off potential new divers, there are many very good stores whose love of the sport, and caring approach, makes for a great learning and early diving experience. Diving recognizes these stores yearly with the C.O.R.E. awards: Divenewswire

It is worth it to find a local SCUBA retailer who makes you feel welcome and comfortable. It is even more important to find the right instructor who will provide you with the skills and knowledge that will lead to a lifetime of diving.

This board has many fine active instructors and is a great source of information and advice. I encourage any one "lurking" and thinking about taking up diving to ask questions concerning your local area and local instructors; it is very likely that someone here will provide some good suggestions.

Wow, that is quite an interesting fact. I thought divng was more popular than that.

I guess when you are involved in something, and it surrounds your lfe, you assume that a lot of people do it(what is the word here? egocentric?).

Another thought: If it was possible to get at least 1% of the population or more into diving, just think of what that would do for the world. The reason I say this is that diving helps us to create a greater awareness of the environment (as does most outdoor activities do as well, I suppose) and how fragile it is. When we dive we see the greatness that is at stake.

That's 0.1% of the US population being certified per year. With average lifespans of 70 years, that means something like 7% of the population is certified at some point or another.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom