How delicate are manifolds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Salvo manifold.

Cave Diver, I think I'll probably have to get a LED light for that reason :)

Simple physics will tell you that if you are going to lift a set of doubles via the manifold that lifting from a single point at the middle of the manifold will put more stress on the manifold than lifting at two points closer to both ends/valves. Whether that stress is meaningful in that particular moment or over the long-haul I do not know, but clearly there is a greater chance to put excess force on captured o-rings, deform the manifold, strip threads, etc if lifting by the manifold bar than by the tank valves. As pointed out above this could REALLY be a problem if bands aren't right/tight.

Either way, if I'm lifting the tanks I grab the rig from "inside" inside the tank valves with my hands as far apart as possible - against the tank valves on either side - so that I'm actually lifting from the two tank valves instead of the manuifold crossbar per se. I've got Thermo valves and manifold, and as you can see there's plenty of room on the valve itself to grab onto:

Doubled set:
ThermoDual.jpg

Single modular valve:
TH-SP-8242LH-1.jpg

On the Halcyon, there's a bit less room to grab there. but the same idea applies I think:
300bar_manifold.jpg

If you look at some other manifolds there's a lot less "valve" room to grab onto:
tn_valve4_jpg.jpg

If I'm grabbing a set by one hand to simply drag them around (wish I could lift a set of double steel 119s with one hand) I will certainly grab them by one tank valve or the other.

I have a Salvo manifold.

Looks like this, no?

Salvo%20300%20Bar%20Manifold.jpg

Just grab as far to the outside as possible and you'll be OK. Good thing is that given even small hands placed as close to the middle as possible...you're still spreading the force closer to the valves than the center point.

I grab and carry by the mani all the time. One set of doubles in each hand and not a problem yet. But I have Al 80's doubled:wink:
The tolerance on that thred is so minimal.(very small) I can not see how the stress would harm anything Keep your bands on to spec and you should be good for years to come!
See you topside! John

Looks like this, no?

Salvo%20300%20Bar%20Manifold.jpg

Yep

Just grab as far to the outside as possible and you'll be OK. Good thing is that given even small hands placed as close to the middle as possible...you're still spreading the force closer to the valves than the center point.

I'm mainly talking about lifting here. If I have to carry it around I grab it by each valve. For lifting it into my boot/etc the easiest method is crotch strap + manifold but instead I've been slipping my arms under the top of my harness as well as grabbing the crotch strap and lifting it up that way. But it is much easier to just use the manifold.

The easiest thing I've found to move my double 130's around with is a small foldable hand cart rated to 150lbs. It's sold at Sears here in the States. Works out awesome with a bungee cord at the top. That or wear them.

cart

Magna Cart folding hand cart

Yea thanks, not really the question though. :) I already have similar to cart it long distances. Talking about short distances here or lifting into my boot or up on to a ledge.

a small foldable hand cart rated to 150lbs.

I really want to get one of these stored somewhere in MX. Or even a non-foldable one. At home, I have one and it's great. It's only in MX that I end up having to carry doubles all over the place.

I have seen one diver who subtly bent his isolation valve. He has a pair of HP100's. He has always picked his up by the isolation valve.

How they got bent? I couldn't tell you, but they are bent.

I grab mine by both valves.

I have heard of at least three cases where doubles were dropped on the manifold for various reasons. did they still work? yep. were they bent? you bet. YMMV.

I have heard of at least three cases where doubles were dropped on the manifold for various reasons. did they still work? yep. were they bent? you bet. YMMV.

Just on that, I was told to not screw the manifold tightly. So mine can rotate around if I want. I was told to do this so if I dropped it or banged the isolation knob against anything, it wouldn't crack. But yea, don't want to test this out :D

Back
Top Bottom