How deep have you gone and why ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

130' Palencar garden Cozumel

I was at 154 yesterday. Wanted to go see what was at the bottom of a wall I've been diving for a few years. I found out ... mud. Rather disappointing. But the long, slow ascent back up the wall was most satisfying ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

132 feet, Taking advantage of the very low tides on a deep wall to get down lower on it.

NWGratefulDiver:
I was at 154 yesterday. Wanted to go see what was at the bottom of a wall I've been diving for a few years. I found out ... mud. Rather disappointing. But the long, slow ascent back up the wall was most satisfying ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Well, there's usually lights, knives, masks, and weights in that mud- ya just have to kick it up a bit! :D

122. was coming back from a run out on a roughly 100 fsw contour 3,000 feet to pick up a couple empty al80 stages each. on the run back the line takes a jog deep and hooks a sharp right uphill and i was downslope and my buddy overran the turn and we went a few feet deeper than planned. was using doubles, 30/30 and a gavin shortbody...

the reason why we do stuff like that came a month or two later and was how comfortable it was diving in taj mahal in mexico after getting used to being 20+ minutes away from where you want to exit... the depth is a little bit incidental...

151. Just wanted to go a little deeper on a wall in the San Juans. It was dumb, but it was really, really fun, too. Currently pursuing trimix cert so I can go to that depth safely.

90 ft at Point Lobos in Carmel, California. The wall in the area was so beautiful that me and my buddy just swam until 5 minutes I checked I was at 60 ft and then 5 minutes later, I checked I was at 90 ft. That was before I got certified for advance open water. After getting the AOW, the deepest I went was 87 ft in Anchor Farm in Monterey California.

129 ft. because thats how deep I had to go to get to the deck of the Oriskany.

Nailer99:
151. Just wanted to go a little deeper on a wall in the San Juans. It was dumb, but it was really, really fun, too. Currently pursuing trimix cert so I can go to that depth safely.
Good idea ... and given the PM's I received from my earlier post I suppose I should mention that I was using double 119's with 25/30 and an AL40 with EAN50 in it.

If you wanna go deep, get the training first ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

142, chasing another (then unknown) instructor's student that decided to let go of the line and sink fast to the sandy bottom somewhere around 180 feet..(glad we didn't get to that depth), Farnsworth, Channel Islands, California.

127-130 a few times, because I wanted to-
Clear Lake, Oregon
Smith Res., Oregon
(Both altitude dives, so the actual depth was different than the calculated depth)
Back Wall of Molokini, Maui
Mike's Beach Resort, Pudget Sound, Washington (several times, teaching Deep Specialty students)

I don't really enjoy going that deep- there really isn't anything to see, (the major exception being Maui-) so for the most part, I try to limit my dives to the 60ish foot area. That seems to be the magic number at which I start having to really plan out the dives vs. just getting wet, as well as generally diving with buddies or students whose air consumption can go startingly quick. Besides, the amount of NDL is so tinsey- I'd rather do three dives around 50-80 then one short dive to 130 during a dive trip. I have wished many, many times that ego in diving would come from overall time spent at a safe depth instead of actual depth. (Students and buddies alike all seem to want to go DEEP....but no one seems to care much about overall time spent at a given depth...)

Back
Top Bottom