Vancouver-area divers - how good do you really have it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Dooley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I used to live in Portland, OR so would dive the Puget Sounds regularly (Hood Canal, primarily). Being in the Pacific Northwest, folks who'd gone up to dive BC seemed to speak highly of it.

In doing some research for a winter trip early next year, it really does seem like I'm spoiled for choice. Three giant wrecks, deep wall dives, pinnacles, a lot of sea life, plenty of interesting shore dives, you name it. I mean we had some of those things in the Hood Canal (great diving, by the way - but no destroyers) and I have access to some nice diving currently out of Boston... but it seems like there's a certain abundance of exciting diving to be had from the greater Vancouver / Nanaimo area. Seems like a great place to be for the cold water diver.

Curious how folks who live in the area might rate the diving scene overall.

I’ve only ventured up twice…most recently to Barkley Sound on the West side. My impression is it has a robust dive scene with a ton of locations, amazing life and significantly better visibility than Puget Sound/Hood Canal. I’ve always heard it’s the best cold water diving location in the world.

I follow the BC Underwater Photo & Video on Facebook for a good dose of envy. It seems the best shots are from diving Campbell River and Port Hardy/Harding Pass areas.

I used to live in Portland, OR so would dive the Puget Sounds regularly (Hood Canal, primarily). Being in the Pacific Northwest, folks who'd gone up to dive BC seemed to speak highly of it.

In doing some research for a winter trip early next year, it really does seem like I'm spoiled for choice. Three giant wrecks, deep wall dives, pinnacles, a lot of sea life, plenty of interesting shore dives, you name it. I mean we had some of those things in the Hood Canal (great diving, by the way - but no destroyers) and I have access to some nice diving currently out of Boston... but it seems like there's a certain abundance of exciting diving to be had from the greater Vancouver / Nanaimo area. Seems like a great place to be for the cold water diver.

Curious how folks who live in the area might rate the diving scene overall.
You can't lump Vancouver in with Nanaimo. Mainland vs Island. Best dives are on the Island so it's better to compare Nanaimo with say, Courtenay/Comox or Victoria. Then there is the stuff up north like Campbell River and Port Hardy.

Here is the absolutely best guide for diving on Vancouver Island. The local legend who made this guide, does all his dives solo. He updates the guide quite regularly.
That index is a serious labor of love--what a contribution to the lucky (and hardy) folks who dive the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom