How dangerous is this ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the Luxfer tank ins pection guide:

"Without a recommended torque from the valve manufacturer, we would recommend a torque of 50 lbf-ft, plus or minus 10 lb-ft. All torquing should be done such that valve, valve components and cylinder are not damaged."

For reference the lug nuts of your car should be torqued from 90-120 ft-lbs.

When replacing a valve after a VIS it is very common to tighten with a sharp tap with the hand or a plastic mallet. So, it is quite possible that it was knocked or bumped in transit to the dive site. Just another item to go over in your predive check.
The tank was full on the way to the dive site. The valve did not turn. The tank was empty after the aborted dive. Highly likely that an extra tug on a hose while ungearing or hauling the tank by the reg turned the valve a bit after the tank was empty.

I would not be too worried. Just tell the shop when you return it.

Totally unrelated but both just as serious. Both can cause catastrophic gas loss. The free-flow is at least visible from the get-go. The valve is more insidious as the tank o-ring could have extruded at depth.

Well, fortunately the free flow happened few minutes into the dive so I was at 60 feet and still had 2900 psi. I was amazed by how fast the tank was bleeding out though !

As for the valve, I now know a lot more than an hour ago. It most likely would have been a different scenario without the free flow.

The tank was full on the way to the dive site. The valve did not turn. The tank was empty after the aborted dive. Highly likely that an extra tug on a hose while ungearing or hauling the tank by the reg turned the valve a bit after the tank was empty.

I would not be too worried. Just tell the shop when you return it.

That makes a lot of sense. Again, I like the gear to be well placed and set-up ; it didn't make any sense to me...

I did and the got the rubber hammer out. ;-)

The valve was not tightened well. Is it dangerous? In my opinion yes in that unintended gas loss can occur. Will the valve blow out of tank? Only if it was unscrewed multiple times (IMO).

Glad you are safe.

The valve was not tightened well. Is it dangerous? In my opinion yes in that unintended gas loss can occur. Will the valve blow out of tank? Only if it was unscrewed multiple times (IMO).

Glad you are safe.

Thanks @Compressor
As it usually is the case in this type of situation, I learned few things. I will be certainly have a look at the condition of the tank for now on, even if it's just the inspection's sticker.

As for the free flow, maybe it's a good enough reason to finally buy my Deep Six regulator... LOL !

Hey, glad you’re ok!

Did they ever give you a reason for the free Flow? It does sound like two separate issues. Not having to rent is a great reason to buy your own Deep 6 reg.

Hey, glad you’re ok!

Did they ever give you a reason for the free Flow? It does sound like two separate issues. Not having to rent is a great reason to buy your own Deep 6 reg.

Hi Mark !
Yes, I'm very ok. Thanks. I hope you are good too ! (Cozumel in few weeks ? ;-) )

I think the reg I rented was not suited for cold water. I started having trouble with it after the first thermocline (the water was 47 degrees).

As for the next step, I am following you and am going for a Deep 6 ; tired of renting gear that has been kicked around and worn out mouth pieces ;-)
After all I read, I am sure I'll be a happy camper !

Sorry for having to ask what may be a noob question, but here goes........

How can you have a free flow from your primary if your issues is at the tank valve?

Wouldn't it be one or the other?

If there is a problem with the tank valve wouldn't it leak from there, thus reducing the flow to your regulator?

My brain is telling me that if there is a tank valve problem that that's where the air would be leaking from, not for the regulator?

Again sorry if your situation is obvious to the pros, but I'm just trying to learn and understand??

Thanks,

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom