How dangerous is this ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divingblueberry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

Something happened today and I’d like to have your opinion and learn from a surprising situation (for me at least).

I had to abort a dive this morning because of a free flow on my primary that I couldn’t stop (rental regulator). Once out of the water, I was chatting with the site manager about the free flow and he noticed that the tank's valve wasn’t not in the right axis, which I found odd because I am always very careful about setting my BCD straight and I was certain I did it right.

It didn’t take long to find out that the valve was not screwed properly. In fact, I could easily unscrew the valve out of the tank without any effort and that explained why it was no more align with my BCD. We found out that the tank went through an inspection very recently and I was the first one to use it. I guess the technician forgot about screwing the valve back properly.

I’d like to have your opinion on this situation... My first reaction was to be appalled and I doubt I’ll rent gear there but I am confused about the danger level of this.

Your opinion and expertise are greatly appreciated.

Was the tank completely drained when you fiddled with the valve?

Yes it was. I just noticed it once out of the water after the free flow emptied tank.

When replacing a valve after a VIS it is very common to tighten with a sharp tap with the hand or a plastic mallet. So, it is quite possible that it was knocked or bumped in transit to the dive site. Just another item to go over in your predive check.

Tank valves are not tightened very much after an inspection. The pressure in the tank keeps them from being turned unless the tank gets empty. Unless of course you had some kind of freak occurrence. I also find it difficult to believe that the orientation of the valve would have any effect on a freeflow either.

When replacing a valve after a VIS it is very common to tighten with a sharp tap with the hand or a plastic mallet. So, it is quite possible that it was knocked or bumped in transit to the dive site. Just another item to go over in your predive check.

Yeah.. I just learned something there and I'll do the check for now on.

That being said, does the pressure in a full tank have any impact on how easy it'd be to unscrew the valve ?

Totally unrelated but both just as serious. Both can cause catastrophic gas loss. The free-flow is at least visible from the get-go. The valve is more insidious as the tank o-ring could have extruded at depth.

Tank valves are not tightened very much after an inspection. The pressure in the tank keeps them from being turned unless the tank gets empty. Unless of course you had some kind of freak occurrence. I also find it difficult to believe that the orientation of the valve would have any effect on a freeflow either.

That answers the question I was asking. Thanks.

The free flow was a different matter IMHO. It just brought our attention to the gear in general then the valve.

Yeah.. I just learned something there and I'll do the check for now on.

That being said, does the pressure in a full tank have any impact on how easy it'd be to unscrew the valve ?
As mentioned, the pressure should make removing the valve far more difficult, that said, I’ve never tried to remove a valve with a pressurized tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom