how come the mask will move up and down during a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool79,

Will you please clarify what you mean by " that her mask is moving up and down during her dive".

Is it sucking in close to her face and them moving away?
Is is bobbing up and down in front of her?
Is it leaking?

I think we're all assuming some common mask issues but may not be focused on he real problem.

However mask fit (geometry, size, material firmness etc.) is almost everything when it comes to masks and if she has used a model that works then the short answer is probably needs to buy one of those. No amount of tinkering with the wrong mask will make it work well.

Pete

hey folks we are into 2 pages now and noone has asked the op and questions yet.
1)what make/model is the mask?
2)is the wife wearing a hood?

she is not wearing a hood.

---------- Post added December 3rd, 2012 at 09:34 PM ----------

It looks like the original issue with her breathing out of her nose hasn't been resolved. I'm really curious why this issue hasn't been addressed by the other instructors you said you were going to get help from like the guys at living seas.

Breathing out through nose mask breaks the seal of the mask.

we went to Big Bubble Centre for a day trip and was told that he will train her. but only changed the mask for her during the 2nd dive.

she does not have much fear when she did her 1st dive at Singapore Hantu water too. Surprised to me

---------- Post added December 3rd, 2012 at 09:38 PM ----------

was unable to see what she meant by up and down of the mask in the water. but will be bring her to the pool to see what she really meant this weekend.

my main worry is, after buying that mask, she still complain the same thing and it's a waste of money... unless we really know what is the root cause.

she has done the test for fit that you guys had stated and it fit well.

Cool79,

Will you please clarify what you mean by " that her mask is moving up and down during her dive".

Is it sucking in close to her face and them moving away?
Is is bobbing up and down in front of her?
Is it leaking?

I think we're all assuming some common mask issues but may not be focused on he real problem.

However mask fit (geometry, size, material firmness etc.) is almost everything when it comes to masks and if she has used a model that works then the short answer is probably needs to buy one of those. No amount of tinkering with the wrong mask will make it work well.

Pete

she is not wearing a hood.

---------- Post added December 3rd, 2012 at 09:34 PM ----------

we went to Big Bubble Centre for a day trip and was told that he will train her. but only changed the mask for her during the 2nd dive.

she does not have much fear when she did her 1st dive at Singapore Hantu water too. Surprised to me

---------- Post added December 3rd, 2012 at 09:38 PM ----------

was unable to see what she meant by up and down of the mask in the water. but will be bring her to the pool to see what she really meant this weekend.

my main worry is, after buying that mask, she still complain the same thing and it's a waste of money... unless we really know what is the root cause.

she has done the test for fit that you guys had stated and it fit well.

I dun think that fit is the issue as the masks you have tried fit a lot of asian faces. The mares and shadow fit a lot of faces.

If she keeps breathing out through her nose the only mask that won't leak or move are full face masks.

Hi, my name is bob and I breathe out through my nose.

I don't have any problems with it and have been doing this as long as I can remember, so it may be hard to say exactly what I do that makes it work.

When I don a mask, I insure that my hair is out of the way, under the hood if I'm using one. I insure that the mask is under the edge of the hood and the strap buckles are over the hood, not caught on the edge. Last, and probably most important, the strap needs to be flat across the back of your head, and the position up or down will change the pressure on the mask seal on your face. I probably have the strap slightly lower on the back of my head which lessens the pressure on the bottom of the mask and I have a home brew purge mask. When I breathe out my nose the bottom of the mask relieves the pressure and removes any leakage from the mask, since I have a mustache it comes in handy at times. I probably learned it as a kid 'cause masks never fit right and always leaked.

Bob
---------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Hi, my name is bob and I breathe out through my nose.

I don't have any problems with it and have been doing this as long as I can remember, so it may be hard to say exactly what I do that makes it work.

When I don a mask, I insure that my hair is out of the way, under the hood if I'm using one. I insure that the mask is under the edge of the hood and the strap buckles are over the hood, not caught on the edge. Last, and probably most important, the strap needs to be flat across the back of your head, and the position up or down will change the pressure on the mask seal on your face. I probably have the strap slightly lower on the back of my head which lessens the pressure on the bottom of the mask and I have a home brew purge mask. When I breathe out my nose the bottom of the mask relieves the pressure and removes any leakage from the mask, since I have a mustache it comes in handy at times. I probably learned it as a kid 'cause masks never fit right and always leaked.

Bob
---------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Bob, that oval gold fish bowl thing you call a mask has so much metal on it you could fill it full of air and it'll still sink lol.

The newer low volume masks can be a pain sometimes. Laugh, smile or even squinting at gauges and the darn things will leak. Breath out through the nose with these masks and I'll almost guarantee the darn things will want to pop off your face.

i am rendering the video i took on LOB in Tioman, will update in the youtube and let u guys see, it's the last part of the video where u can see bubbles coming out from the mask...

---------- Post added December 4th, 2012 at 12:35 AM ----------

it's taking 4 hrs to upload the whole clip!!! i am currently uploading just her breathing out from the mask now.

---------- Post added December 4th, 2012 at 12:39 AM ----------

[video=youtube_share;pT1OjCd3MHk]http://youtu.be/pT1OjCd3MHk[/video]

Some people have face shapes that make mask fitting very hard. In recent weeks I had two such students go through the masks in the shop with a very skilled and patient employee. In each case, they eventually got to the point that they had to choose between the only two masks on the entire wall of choices that really fit them well. If it had been me as a customer, I probably would have been fine with half of them.

I'd say (and I think this goes along with the earlier post about her diving issues) that she needs to go back and learn airway control.

Start with work on land. Have her cover her mouth with her hand, and blow up her cheeks -- then, without moving the hand, allow the air in her mouth to escape out her nose. Keep going back and forth between blowing up the mouth and blowing out the nose, until she can reproducibly choose where she wants the air to go.

Then have her breathe through a snorkel without a mask, until she can reliably do that without inhaling water and choking. Then have her put a mask on and stand in the water with the mask submerged and a snorkel in her mouth. Make her breathe through the snorkel, without allowing air to escape through the mask. If she begins to breathe out through her nose, go back to breathing through the snorkel with no mask, until she gets that again, and then add the mask.

It's not that it's terrible to breathe out through the nose -- my husband says he exhales every third or four breath that way. It's that, with the breathing rate and volume that I see on that video (nervous breathing, very rapid and forceful) she's literally blowing the mask off her face.

I'd say (and I think this goes along with the earlier post about her diving issues) that she needs to go back and learn airway control.

Start with work on land. Have her cover her mouth with her hand, and blow up her cheeks -- then, without moving the hand, allow the air in her mouth to escape out her nose. Keep going back and forth between blowing up the mouth and blowing out the nose, until she can reproducibly choose where she wants the air to go.

Then have her breathe through a snorkel without a mask, until she can reliably do that without inhaling water and choking. Then have her put a mask on and stand in the water with the mask submerged and a snorkel in her mouth. Make her breathe through the snorkel, without allowing air to escape through the mask. If she begins to breathe out through her nose, go back to breathing through the snorkel with no mask, until she gets that again, and then add the mask.

It's not that it's terrible to breathe out through the nose -- my husband says he exhales every third or four breath that way. It's that, with the breathing rate and volume that I see on that video (nervous breathing, very rapid and forceful) she's literally blowing the mask off her face.

Exactly, she still doesn't look comfortable at all. Holding on to the mask and breathing that hard and rapidly is a sure sign of some distress.

Breathing out through the mask isn't a huge deal but all the problems you've described since you started posting about your wife's issues makes me conclude that she isn't ok with diving yet.

It just adds one more thing for her to worry about... her mask flooding.

Get her diving basics right from the start and there will be less issues later.

Bob, that oval gold fish bowl thing you call a mask has so much metal on it you could fill it full of air and it'll still sink lol.

The newer low volume masks can be a pain sometimes. Laugh, smile or even squinting at gauges and the darn things will leak. Breath out through the nose with these masks and I'll almost guarantee the darn things will want to pop off your face.

That's just my vintage rig and I wear a new mask with my regular kit and that was what I was describing, even though it does work with the old school oval.

Bob
---------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom