how come the mask will move up and down during a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the folks who are saying that inhaling is not the way to check mask fit. If you suck hard enough, you can make almost any mask seal. Place the mask on the face, hold your breath, and gently push on the mask with your fingers. It should remain on your face when the pressure is released; if it doesn't, it doesn't fit properly.

My masks will stay on my face even if the strap comes off -- I've proven that any number of times, as the isolator on my doubles pushes the strap up the back of my head until it comes loose. But if you exhale through your nose, that will not work!

There is no greater risk of the purge failing in the mask then there is of it failing in her reg. If the purge fails during the dive she continues to exhale through her nose as she goes to the surface. You do not need the mask to get back to the surface in the event of a problem. With more experience she will learn to stop exhaling through her nose solving what maybe the root problem.

I don't buy that statement. A mask purge is usually in the base of the nose pocket, a thin silicone structure into which a purge valve has been fitted. An of course most divers repeatedly pinch this thing to equalize. That's a pretty stark contrast to the regulator exhaust cloistered away in the body of a second stage.

Of course if we're talking about a vintage face plate purge I'm with you. Does anyone make those these days? I had one for snorkeling as a kid.
-----------------
A failed mask purge will still hold air if facing forward so with a little composure ending the dive need not be traumatic.

A agree many more mask issues are resolved by loosening the strap an by tightening. Suggesting that the strap is optional is pushing it for most of us but you do illustrate your point.

I also want to add that she wants to pay careful attention to her strap. Make sure the web is laid out in the back of her head and where it is resting out back. For many the ideal position is lower than we first expect.

Pete

hey folks we are into 2 pages now and noone has asked the op and questions yet.
1)what make/model is the mask?
2)is the wife wearing a hood?

Well maybe because he answered question one in his original post

I did broach the hood in some detail, see post 4.

As for make and model I'm not sure what bearing that would have without mask samples and a plaster cast of the woman's face. Were you going someplace with the question?

Pete

Why does the brand of mask matter if it first does not fit?

Hood, was mentioned, probably not the issue.

N

my wife is complaining that her mask is moving up and down during her dive and she has to keep holding on her mask during the dive.

the fit is ok, i asked her to inhale while the mask is on her face and the fit is ok.

does she need to tighten the mask more?

on one dive, she tried another mask that the DM passed to her, and she doesn't have the issue.

in the past dive, i saw that she is breathing out from her nose, air is escaping out from the top of the mask.

currently she is using Oceanic shadow. the DM passed her was TUSA Concero and she does not have complete.

during her OWC, she was using Mares X-Vision and she does not have that issue too.

I exhale through my nose when diving and my wiggles also. Just exhale through your nose and re-adjust as needed.

TF

my wife is complaining that her mask is moving up and down during her dive and she has to keep holding on her mask during the dive.

the fit is ok, i asked her to inhale while the mask is on her face and the fit is ok.

does she need to tighten the mask more?

on one dive, she tried another mask that the DM passed to her, and she doesn't have the issue.

in the past dive, i saw that she is breathing out from her nose, air is escaping out from the top of the mask.

currently she is using Oceanic shadow. the DM passed her was TUSA Concero and she does not have complete.

during her OWC, she was using Mares X-Vision and she does not have that issue too.

It looks like the original issue with her breathing out of her nose hasn't been resolved. I'm really curious why this issue hasn't been addressed by the other instructors you said you were going to get help from like the guys at living seas.

Breathing out through nose mask breaks the seal of the mask.

If mask A doesn't fit well and mask B fits better, buy mask B. Seems like she found a mask that fits (the DMs), so just get one of those. I only recently (past few years) found a mask that I REALLY like. Its ok to experiment and upgrade.

she was diving without any snorkel attached to the mask. maybe she need to practise more in the pool regarding the breathing. on surface, she doesn't breath out through her nose. during the last dive, the vis was like 2 to 3 meter. so i didn't have a chance to see how she dive, as her buddy was the instructor.
I did told the instructor that she has problem clearing mask.

during the dive, she only complain during the 1st dive. she was using my mask,
[h=3]HOG Predator Frameless Mask[/h]the 2nd dive, she was using TUSA Concero, quite old mask.

could it be the skirting of the new mask is much softer compared to the old mask, which she can easily breath out from the mask as compared to an old mask?

You mention that your wife is exhaling through her nose during the dive. Whilst this is fine if they are calm and relaxed with a gentle exhalation, however if she is blowing out hard it can cause the mask to jiggle and feel unstable.

Also, when testing the mask for a good fit, if she has to sniff in quite hard in order for the mask to seal, it is probably too big. I can "make" most masks fit in the shop if I sniff hard enough. It should touch the face all around the seal and not require a huge sniff in order for the mask to seal.

Another issue can be the snorkel, they too can cause the mask to jiggle. When fun diving or guiding, I forgo the snorkel altogether (she could always pop it in a pocket in case she needs it on the surface). Or, if she prefers to wear it on the mask, push the snorkel back on the strap, well away from the edge of the mask.

I hope that helps
04.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom