How Cold Oregon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Matthews

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How cold are the waters in Oregon? I do not keep track. They seem too cold to me.

I'll be diving in the Illinois River this weekend for checkouts and it's 48-50 in there.

Almost tropical :)

I can't bring myself to spend the $$$$ for a dry suit. Besides, it gives me a reason (excuse) to head south when the weather is bad.
colonelchuck:
Cold enough that a dry suit really makes multiple dives fun rather than an effort.

Mike Matthews:
I can't bring myself to spend the $$$$ for a dry suit. Besides, it gives me a reason (excuse) to head south when the weather is bad.

Best money I've ever spent on diving

Mike Matthews:
I can't bring myself to spend the $$$$ for a dry suit.

That's a mistake. We (Dry Suit Divers) all had to step up to the plate but you would be hard pressed to find one of them that regrets it.

Al Mialkovsky:
Best money I've ever spent on diving

Ditto! A close second would be my BP/W... a VERY close second.

In a few hours I'll be in 48 degree water. My students will be in wetsuits. They will be cold. I will be warm. :)

I almost feel evil :)

Mike Matthews:

I've dove here in oregon for 20 years now, all in a wetsuit, and with age, I'm not a macho as I use to be. Last couple of dives I froze in a wetsuit (good thick one I might add). In 30 minutes of working on the bottom of my boat, I was done. I recently bought a drysuit off ebay for less than $200.00 and it looks like it has never been used. I think I got a good deal, and can't wait to get back in the water after a quick drysuit course. It's going to be nice being toasty instead of chilled to the bone.

I lied,, totally lied about the water temps in the Illinois River. They weren't 48-50. It was 45 and dropping quicker than my net worth.

But it felt soooo darrrrrn WARM :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom