How cold have you've dived with a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

42 F with a 3mm wetsuit for 30 minutes. I won't do it again.

Computer said 38. During spring breakup. Used a 7mil farmer john. Brought hot water to pour into the suit, boots, and gloves after getting them on. Poured hot water in the hood before putting it on. Dove for 27 minutes. My hands were pretty dam cold coming out. I've got a dry suit now, dove last weekend and everything was warm.

40 degrees for 45 minutes in a 7mm farmer john. Just a trick I have seen some of the divers around Puget Sound use....bring a couple of gallon milk jugs with hot water in them (they put them in coolers in their trunks to keep them warm till use) and pull the neck open just before you get in the water and dump the warm water in. Works I guess if you have the ability to keep the water warm and have it available just before you go in.

Never tried it myself as I was a "major whimp" and bought a dry suit, but the guys I saw do it swore by it.

water temp was 36 degrees ...O/A temp 10 degrees.... two 35 minute dives at 48 and 50 feet. I use about 105 degrees warm water down the spine AFTER the dive.

frank2.jpg

brainsicedive.jpg

Sorry folks but it was a 68*, 44 minute dive with a 3mm full wetsuit. Not too bad really.

Coldest has been 41 deg F at 70 ffw (Lake Superior) for 30 minutes. Have also done mid-40's F (Lake Michigan) for ~40 minutes. I was in a 6.5mm farmer john/jacket, with hood and 5mm gloves. Honestly, the only way I knew it was cold was from my exposed cheeks and lips. I am probably not the norm.

If I recall (dont have my log with me at the moment), it was three or four years ago in Tobermory on the last weekend of November. 7mm FJ, three finger mitts, hood, lip shield on my regulator mouthpiece, etc.
3 dives for about 30min each at 38F or 39F.
I really didn't start to feel chilled until towards the end of the last dive.

The more I read this thread, the more I feel like a wimp.

I was in the tank at the LDS practicing my skills a week ago and the heater had gone out for the pool. It was 75 F and after an hour I was darn cold and ready to get out.

A friend from NYC is supposed to be down this weekend and he asked if I wanted to go diving - the water is around 51 F. I told him he was nuts and to talk to me this summer.

I must really be a southerner now. :D

Back
Top Bottom