How are gas prices and inflation going to affect your diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The cheapest basic return fare(no check bag) for HK to Phuket is about US$150.00. Fuel surcharge is US$80.00 extra ie 30% of the total fare($240.00).

Speaking of boats and mileage.
I can see a day when fast boats that use a lot of gasoline will be greatly diminished. Deep V bottoms and large V-8 engines or even outboards that have the power to get those deep cutting hulls up on plane. They are able to cut through some of the worst wind chop but at what cost? And what kind of range do they offer? A tuna trip 60 or 80 miles out in record time and $100 or $200 in fuel? more? What if it’s a big boat.
Will sailboating come back?
I was thinking about this and exploring the possibility of getting a trailerable full displacement hull boat in the 22’-25’ range that could be lived on for a few days with a cuddy cabin and a small salon. There are such boats and they burn an average of one and a half gallons of diesel per hour, and they can have a huge range depending on fuel tank size. The option would be there to use alternative fuel such as biodiesel. They’re not fast, maybe 8-10 knots max, but they are seaworthy and comfortable.

I can see a day when fast boats that use a lot of gasoline will be greatly diminished. Deep V bottoms and large V-8 engines or even outboards that have the power to get those deep cutting hulls up on plane. They are able to cut through some of the worst wind chop but at what cost? And what kind of range do they offer? A tuna trip 60 or 80 miles out in record time and $100 or $200 in fuel? more? If it’s a big boat.
Will sailboating come back?
I was thinking about this and exploring the possibility of getting a trailerable full displacement hull boat in the 22’-25’ range that could be lived on for a few days with a cuddy cabin and a small salon. There are such boats and they burn an average of one and a half gallons of diesel per hour, and they can have a huge range depending on fuel tank size. The option would be there to use alternative fuel such as biodiesel. They’re not fast, maybe 8-10 knots max, but they are seaworthy and comfortable.
$100-$200 in fuel for 120-160 mile trip? Not since the mid nineties.
You are closer to $1000 in fuel at today's prices. That isn't even a big boat, that is just something capable of 120-160 miles.
Full displacement is the way to go if you aren't in a hurry. It won't work in the charter business, nobody wants to pay what it would cost, and even more so, people don't have the time. They want to get out and back quickly and safely to go on with their life.

$100-$200 in fuel for 120-160 mile trip? Not since the mid nineties.
You are closer to $1000 in fuel at today's prices. That isn't even a big boat, that is just something capable of 120-160 miles.
Full displacement is the way to go if you aren't in a hurry. It won't work in the charter business, nobody wants to pay what it would cost, and even more so, people don't have the time. They want to get out and back quickly and safely to go on with their life.
Yeah, my price thinking was a little silly. $1000+ is more like it.
I saw your other post about the ‘59 boat you rebuilt. Ever hear of Glen-L Marine Designs?
If I was to build/buy/obtain a full displacement boat in a smaller size it would only be for my use, no commercial charters.
Glen-L has such a boat, the “Playin Jane” 22’ full displacement hull, strip planked plywood design.
There are other commercially available models as well but they are $$$$.

I'm spoiled. Living in Manhattan public transportation can take us anywhere from the beach to good hiking.
However, airfare has spiked so much the long weekend trips to Coz just don't make sense anymore.
Just means I have to take longer vacations less frequently. Still getting out to Dutch Springs, though, with my LDS in their van.
I lived in Manhattan before. Got my pool sessions in the city and OW cert at Dutch Springs. Great experience. Definitely a nice local dive spot.

However, I am looking for an off-road SUV or pick up truck for my divings now. I am considering a diesel one since diesel tend to be cheaper and more efficient than gas. I might consider an EV later, but in colder weathers their batteries drain up too fast.

I lived in Manhattan before. Got my pool sessions in the city and OW cert at Dutch Springs. Great experience. Definitely a nice local dive spot.

However, I am looking for an off-road SUV or pick up truck for my divings now. I am considering a diesel one since diesel tend to be cheaper and more efficient than gas. I might consider an EV later, but in colder weathers their batteries drain up too fast.
What place is diesel cheaper? Also a 2018 f150 with the 3.5 eco boost gets me 19-20mpg my 2021 f450 diesel gets around 8 no matter if I am towing or dead head

Just wondering if anybody feels that the current surge of gas prices and maybe to a lesser extent inflation will affect your diving?
I suppose it depends where you dive, if you have any local diving, how far away it is, and what state you live in.
For me living California I pay $6.29 or more a gallon for regular and drive a vehicle that gets between 18-20 MPG. That equates to about $40-$50 on average for fuel for me to get to the ocean and back locally. That could start to add up.
For now work is busy so it’s not really a hard concern, even though it sucks and I thing we are being gouged, but that is another story.
For me to get to Southern California to dive off one of the charter boats is a bigger deal. It would cost me about $250 in gas. Boat rates have gone up a little to $149 weekday to $169 weekend for a day boat, three tanks off the Spectre out of Ventura. That’s actually still a deal. But then they do not allow overnight staying on the boat the night before for free anymore since the Conception disaster so a hotel would be needed. Add another $169-$200 for that.
A lot has changed.
It made me buy a nice camper so I can live by the lake as its 130miles each way if I go home lol

I started SCUBA diving again thanks to high gas prices.

After suffering DCS, I was just going to freedive and not return to SCUBA.

My plan for the summer was to drive from Pennsylvania to Rhode Island and New Jersey to spearfish while freediving. Back in the '90s, my girlfriend Marci was a Delta flight attendant who had two layovers in Providence, RI, every week. I would drive 4 hours from the Poconos to Warwick where her hotel was and spend the night then dive around Narragansett after she left. That was a twice-a-week thing. I had a Mitsubishi Eclipse sports car and gas was affordable.

I just bought a new Ocean Hunter speargun and haven't used it. With the cost of gas, I decided to put the tanks back on and just dive lakes and the Delaware River within 30 minutes from my house.

I can see a day when fast boats that use a lot of gasoline will be greatly diminished. Deep V bottoms and large V-8 engines or even outboards that have the power to get those deep cutting hulls up on plane. They are able to cut through some of the worst wind chop but at what cost? And what kind of range do they offer? A tuna trip 60 or 80 miles out in record time and $100 or $200 in fuel? more? What if it’s a big boat.
This largely depends on location. A smaller bay boat may be able to be used in relatively calm water and be more efficient than a deep V. A displacement hull may also work in some locations, but can be a challenge in others. In my area, this would mean some long boat rides, which could be a challenge. 12-15 miles out puts you in 50fsw or so. 20 or more miles needed to get into 80fsw. And a bit further north, it's even worse. Rule of thumb there is close to 1 mile = 1 foot.
What place is diesel cheaper? Also a 2018 f150 with the 3.5 eco boost gets me 19-20mpg my 2021 f450 diesel gets around 8 no matter if I am towing or dead head
Ouch. 8 mpg in the diesel. My diesel (smaller than the F450) is good for around 17-18 around town, 20 or so highway, and around 11-12 towing. Much better than my previous gas truck where it was 13, 16-18, and 7-8 respectively.

Ouch. 8 mpg in the diesel. My diesel (smaller than the F450) is good for around 17-18 around town, 20 or so highway, and around 11-12 towing. Much better than my previous gas truck where it was 13, 16-18, and 7-8 respectively.
Being a Dully and in the mountains is also not helping that! Are highway speed is 80 also I am sure if I was in flatter land it get better and slow it down a little.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom