how are diving conditions in tubbataha near end of season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CLA

Reaction score
Hello everyone

Has anyone experienced diving in Tubbataha near the end of the season? How are the diving conditions there near the end of May or during the May -June transitions trip? I made a reservation for May 26 and have until next week to give the down payment. I was hesitant to book the trip because it might be too close to the monsoon season but this is the only time I can go. Do you guys think it’s still worth the expense - even if the diving conditions will be less than ideal?

Hope someone can help.

Cathy

CLA:
Hello everyone

Has anyone experienced diving in Tubbataha near the end of the season? How are the diving conditions there near the end of May or during the May -June transitions trip? I made a reservation for May 26 and have until next week to give the down payment. I was hesitant to book the trip because it might be too close to the monsoon season but this is the only time I can go. Do you guys think it’s still worth the expense - even if the diving conditions will be less than ideal?

Hope someone can help.

Cathy

Usually the seas are rough by the first week of June. Make sure you have a lot of bonamine and are confident of your diving skills. Some sites may be difficult to dive, but usually your suffering is rewarded with greater underwater action.

Hi,

I went on a 6 day diving trip leaving PP the 6:th of June last year.

The seas were rather rough, and the overnight trip out was really rough.
Every night I was woken up because I was tossen around in my bunk by the waves.
During the day the ship was often rolling. I think we only had one dive with a totaly calm sea.

We were also told that the water was getting warmer that late in the season, thus no hammerhead sharks for us...

On the good side, we were the only diving boat on the entire reef.

If I go there again, I for one, will certainly not go at the very end of the season again.

However, If you don't mind the risk of rough seas, go ahead!

erik.p:
On the good side, we were the only diving boat on the entire reef.

The tubbataha season is usually eleven (11) weeks. However the bigger vessels like the Tristar and the Scubaworld boats usually end the season on the 9th week. The risk of dragging the concrete mooring blocks and running aground is high. With the high swells and wind ,too much fuel is consumed manuevering the ship and avoiding running aground.

The biggest steel hulled vessel that can safely visit tubbataha up to mid June is the Tabibuga. If you're booked on the aforementioned bigger boats, in the month of June, be aware that trips can be cancelled because of bad weather.

I would not, repeat not, risk trips in these conditions in wooden hulled, single engined, vessels.

The best time to dive tubbataha are the last two weeks of April, and the first two weeks of May.

Eric,
Peter showed us the Talusi while it was being constructed in Roxas (Coco loco) several years ago. It's a good boat maybe too small for rough seas. Actually I don't mind rough seas because I rarely get seasick, but I would be disappointed if I don't get to see "underwater action" (as 2mix puts it). It's Ok with me not to see hammerheads but did you still see a lot of "big fish" and other pelagics? Did you get to dive less because of the adverse conditions? The last time I went we were allowed 4 -5 per day but the night dives weren't very impressive. How was the viz?

2mix,
My trip is scheduled for May 26 to 31 and I'll be on a scubaworld boat (the exact same boat I tooke 2 years ago). Since we won't reach June it should be OK, right??
Sayang- my original plan was to go on the last week of April but I have another trip scheduled then. I should plan my vacations better - or post my questions here earlier.

Thanks for your input guys.

Cathy

CLA:
Eric,

2mix,
My trip is scheduled for May 26 to 31 and I'll be on a scubaworld boat (the exact same boat I tooke 2 years ago). Since we won't reach June it should be OK, right??
Sayang- my original plan was to go on the last week of April but I have another trip scheduled then. I should plan my vacations better - or post my questions here earlier.

Thanks for your input guys.

Cathy

Ditch that useless Julian (solar) calendar and get good old chinese (lunar) calendar with a tide table from Divisoria. Whether or not your trip is, or is not, on the month of June is irrelevant.

Always assume that the wind MAY have picked up by this time. But May 27 is new moon, hence the currents will be more awesome. I just love to be clinging unto a ledge at the Del San wreck site at 130 ft watching 2 meter long tuna watching me holding on to dear life. :D

Most dive sites should be open. But your vessel might choose to anchor on the lee side of the reef. Hence the dinghy might have to go all the way around to the dive site.

Worst case scenario is that the vessel might float all night if the captain decides that the mooring blocks cannot safely secure the vessel in the evening. This means the engines are left on burning a minimum of 50 liters of fuel per hour, depending the sea conditions.

It may come to the point that the vessel owners may choose to call-off the rest of the season if the operating cost and the wear and tear of equipment proves too much.

Twomixdiver:
Ditch that useless Julian (solar) calendar and get good old chinese lunar calendar with a tide table from Divisoria. Whether or not your trip is, or is not, on the month of June is irrelevant.

Always assume that the wind MAY have picked up by this time. But May 27 is new moon, hence the currents will be more awesome. I'd love to be holding on a ledge at 130 ft watching 2 meter long tuna watching me. :D

Most dive sites should be open. But your vessel might choose to anchor on the lee side of the reef. Hence the dinghy might have to go all the way around to the dive site.

Worst case scenario is that the vessel might float all night if the captain decides that the mooring blocks cannot safely secure the vessel in the evening. This means the engines are left on burning a minimum of 50 liters of fuel per hour, depending the sea conditions.

It may come to the point that the vessel owners may choose to call-off the rest of the season if the operating cost and the wear and tear of equipment proves too much.
Gordon, any chance you can post that chinese calendar of yours here in the board?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom