How Accurate Should my Computer be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Temperature compensation is not for the variations in water density. It's because the sensors, or more importantly the electronics reading them, can be significantly non-linear with temperature. When I get a chance, I'll see if I can dig something out specifically about miniature semiconductor pressure transducers, but it's not uncommon for a lot of sensors (pressure, temperature, strain, etc.) to see fourth or sixth-order equations (i.e. polynomials that include terms up to x^6) before compensation, even for just a few digits accuracy.

Temperature compensation is not for the variations in water density. It's because the sensors, or more importantly the electronics reading them, can be significantly non-linear with temperature. When I get a chance, I'll see if I can dig something out specifically about miniature semiconductor pressure transducers, but it's not uncommon for a lot of sensors (pressure, temperature, strain, etc.) to see fourth or sixth-order equations (i.e. polynomials that include terms up to x^6) before compensation, even for just a few digits accuracy.
What he said.

By how much? 0.01% maybe??
It's been a long time since I looked at that question, my memory from the early days (e.g., EDGE) is on the order of 10%.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom