How about this?? Nitrox c-card without a single checkout dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my SSI Nitrox class included rescuing a toxing diver skills, gas analysis, benefits of standard gases and quick rules for CNS% and OTUs. checkout dive was a bunch of toxing diver skills.

the only thing i would have liked to have added to that class was empirical data on ppO2 exposure.

ScubaSixString:
Geks you might want to duck :wink:

Nauidiver2004, now that i've read your profile, you claim to be nitrox certified, through naui no less (huge suprise). NAUI requires dives for nitrox (if i remember correctly) Why don't you share with the group what you feel you gained by having to dive for that? Or would that be too productive for you? Too on topic?

Or better yet, explain why you think the trimix/heliox argument has a place here?

I don't believe that dives are required to be certified thru NAUI, they are optional. You can obtain one of two different cards depending on wether you choose to complete the dives or not. My personal view is that EANx certification does not require dives as the knowledge required is theoritical in nature. I can see why some organizations would require dives. Money aside, demonstrating the skills to properly plan a dive under the perceived added stressor of having to execute the dive moves the theoritical knowledge into the practical relm. Some people are much better practical learners.
As for the trimix question. I don't see where it has any place in his question. His question clearly demonstrates his level of knowledge in the physiology in breathing gasses and adding this information might just confound the answer.

Thats my answer, but only becaused you asked.

Ken

lamont:
my SSI Nitrox class included rescuing a toxing diver skills, gas analysis, benefits of standard gases and quick rules for CNS% and OTUs. checkout dive was a bunch of toxing diver skills.

the only thing i would have liked to have added to that class was empirical data on ppO2 exposure.
If this was the norm, I would take the stand that two dives are not enough.

I was not shown the response to a toxing diver until I got to rescue.

Unfortunately, the norm is that the instructor is not even with the student on the dives.

Tom Winters:
Nitrox doesn't need a checkout dive - it's the trimix that gets people into trouble. Too much helium and you float right out of the ocean, even with a steel backplate if you have low enough bodyfat....

Now that's just funny!

I teach SSI Nitrox w/ my open water course to fix the problem of no dives. But if I do teach a reg. Nitrox class for certified students I dont require dives.

Russ

Don Burke:
It sounds like you could provide more value and make more money by having the students analyze ten cylinders and plan and log ten "paper" dives.

That would appear to be a "win-win".
No, if there's no diving, there's no winning. I ain't teaching diving to stay dry :)
Rick

My $.02 for what it's worth..

First, if someone explicitly described the difference between multi-gas diving and single gas diving (tri-mix etc vs nitrox) I apologize...I think it is worth emphasizing the difference on this thread vis a vie requiring dives...there are specific in water skills you must learn and be proficent at to safely dive multiple gases...you will typically be diving with at least triple the number of tanks, usually...that is, doubles on your back and a slung tank-that affects buoyancy, and equipment stress levels. In addition, there are conventions in tank marking you must learn and you must demonstrate your ability to recognize those different gases and then switch to them underwater...that can only be suffiently tested under dive conditions...

Nitrox (EAN) on the other hand is typically a one gas dive, unless it is one of the gases used in the multi gas dive....I am afraid I am not being clear, but what I mean is I REPLACE air with it on dives, but do the same KIND of dive, as opposed to a mix dive, which is very different.

Therefore the in water skills for EAN are no different, so dives are not required.

Two excellent points above deal with the idea that the "dive" begins when you arrive at the boat and ends when you disembark...to that end, dives along with the course are useful, but not necessary...

I did TDI, and we had no dives. Our training, in addition to the math, was from "arrival" at the shop to "embarking" on the boat-planning dives, analyzing tanks etc.

We ran scenarios in class that addressed changing the dive plan on the fly...

As a by the way, I use a computer as a unnecessary backup to my brain-I am not only ready to change the dive plan on the boat, but under water if necessary...

So bottom line here...

1) tri-mix and EAN are too different to compare
2) Dives are not necessary for EAN, but more dives under supervision are NEVER a bad thing!
3) "The dive" is more than the wet part, and whether you "dive" dry in your EAN course, or wet, it is still important to think that way...

Finally, may I beg all of you to try to keep these discussions focused on questions and answers...how does any negative statements about someone else promote knowledge?

Just my thoughts...I would welcome others insights...

regards,

Ken

Kupu:
I recently decided to get Nitrox certified using the American Dive Center online course. I gave alot of thought to the no dives required issue before

They don't give much information on their website other than saying you can pay $25 now, take the online course, then at some future date come by Boca Raton Florida and take the hands on portion and pay the full course fee.

What is the full course fee?

For the other post that indicated PADI was offering a similar thing on their website, they are. It's online, then you go by any LDS that does this and take the hands on skill parts, including diving. I suspect there wouldn't be a large savings doing it that way with PADI.

cummings66:
They don't give much information on their website other than saying you can pay $25 now, take the online course, then at some future date come by Boca Raton Florida and take the hands on portion and pay the full course fee.

What is the full course fee?

It appears to be $99.

http://www.coralspringsscuba.com/tdi_tech/tek_n2o2_door.htm

I also think that check-out dives are not necessary for Nitrox Certification. My wife and I are PADI OW and AOW certified through our LDS, but when we wanted to become Nitrox certified we went to a NAUI dive shop. NAUI has 2 nitrox classes: one is a Nitrox Certification (does not require dives) and the other is the Nitrox Diver Certification (requires 2 dives).
We chose the one without dives because it was $50.00 cheaper per person, and we can do everything that the other guy with the Nitrox Diver Certification can do.
The two most important concepts in any Nitrox class are gas analysis and dive planning, both of which are performed on land.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom